SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

It’s the old “say or do something horrific politely and play the victim when your target responds in kind impolitely” writ large.

Which actually describes this SCOTUS’s MO precisely - cause harm to tens or hundreds of millions of people and clutch the pearls when they react angrily.

11 Likes

Texas seeks to upend the longstanding balance of power between the federal government and the states through a law, known as SB 4, which allows Texas state courts to issue deportation orders that will be carried out by Texas state officials. The law is now before the Supreme Court in two “shadow docket” cases, known as United States v. Texas and Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy v. McCraw.

The Texas law will go into effect on Wednesday at 5 pm unless the Supreme Court acts, so it is likely that the Court will hand down some sort of decision before then (although that decision could just be a brief order extending the deadline to some future date).

See where this is going kids? Passports required to get into or out of Texas…

11 Likes
8 Likes

The theme focused on moving past partisan politics.

Wierd, because it’s what got them there in the first place.

2 Likes

5 Likes
6 Likes

This isn’t the only area in which Texas is succeeding in having their law supersede federal law, which just baffles the fuck out of me. I guess the Supremacy Clause is dead.
Court upholds Texas law requiring parental consent for minors to get birth control : NPR.

10 Likes

Supreme Court rules that public officials can block social media followers in some circumstances

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/15/politics/supreme-court-rules-that-public-officials-can-block-social-media-followers/index.html

4 Likes

The ruling should have been that public employees and elected officials be prohibited from doing official business on private social media, FFS. No one should be forced to have a Facebook account to learn their neighborhood has been zoned for demolitions testing.

14 Likes

For something like that I’m sure there would also be a notice in the display department. Just bring a flashlight.

5 Likes

And leopard repellant?

3 Likes

If you think you need it. I’m sure they won’t eat my face.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Or wait, maybe The Federalist Society isn’t exactly a “think tank”?

So many powerful, well-funded rightwing orgs. Wish we could have more powerful, well-funded leftwing ones.

11 Likes
6 Likes

It’s more of a dating site for conservative judges seeking to meet conservative billionaires.

14 Likes

:laughing: :sob:

10 Likes

15 Likes

Well that wasn’t the subject of the lawsuit, and while the Court does sometimes answer questions that weren’t asked (which I think is bullshit…they shouldn’t be able to do that ever), there does need to be some connection. Whether or not elected officials should be using social media in an official capacity just wasn’t related to this lawsuit at all. Also, I don’t want the Court to make that decision. That’s really a legislation issue.

4 Likes

Point of order: none of them are “conservative”. They’re all reactionary and regressive at best.

6 Likes