SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

Basically “we aren’t gerrymandering by race, we’re gerrymandering by party affiliation. It just so happens that People of Color oppose our party’s racist platform!”

Just so damn infuriating.

14 Likes
13 Likes

Last week was the 70th anniversary of Brown and this asshole who currently is sitting in the very seat on the court that was once occupied by Thurgood Marshall (who successfully argued that landmark case before becoming the first black Supreme Court justice) decided that right now is the ideal time to trash it.

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/23/clarence-thomas-supreme-court-racial-segregation

11 Likes

10 Likes

On Jan. 20, 2021 — the day of Biden’s inauguration, which the Alitos did not attend — Barnes went to their home to follow up on the tip about the flag. He encountered the couple coming out of the house. Martha-Ann Alito was visibly upset by his presence, demanding that he “get off my property.”

As he described the information he was seeking, she yelled, “It’s an international signal of distress!”

12 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes

petty, spiteful, vindictive…
and then, there’s his wife!

12 Likes

Assholes gonna asshole.

14 Likes
10 Likes

The U.S. Department of Justice — including the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, an appointed U.S. special counsel and the solicitor general, all of whom were involved in different ways in the criminal prosecutions underlying these cases and are opposing Mr. Trump’s constitutional and statutory claims — can petition the other seven justices to require Justices Alito and Thomas to recuse themselves not as a matter of grace but as a matter of law.

I count 3 who would possibly agree with this, and 4 who would certainly not. It would be an ultimate hail mary, truly. These two will almost certainly vote MAGA. We will need to have Roberts (I think this one is likely) and one of the others value democracy and the constitution enough to keep this monstrosity from coming to be. It’s a thin thread, but it’s pretty much all we’ve got at this point.

10 Likes

If it pisses them off - it might be worth it.

9 Likes

I hope this is at least tried. I don’t want to lose sight of the bigger issue, though. Alito and Thomas need to resign, not just recuse. Thomas has an intractable conflict of interest between his own enrichment and his duty of impartiality (or the appearance thereof). Alito has violated his oath to the Constitution and laws of this country by endorsing violent insurrectionists, and the violent overthrow of the country to establish a favored religion. He can not pretend he supports the rule of law.

Not to single out Clearance Thomas (everything’s on sale), he’s just by far the worst and most blatant offender. The justices need to be held to at least the same standard as district court judges.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Now a husband has entered the stage:

8 Likes

13 Likes

Is there a grumpy cat flag?

Grumpy Cat GIF

Though this one looks more like Alito:

Mad Grumpy Cat GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

Rep. Jamie Raskin wrote that the Justice Department could petition to remove justices accused of impartiality.

Whoever wrote that one-line summary needs some more practice. (The line in the article that it seems to have been based on said “… questionable imparitality”, which changes the meaning of the sentence a bit.)

6 Likes