SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

And so believable. People having a disagreement with their neighbors always put up far right, insurrectionist symbols. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Between this story, and Thomas siding with the liberals on the CFPB case, I think between Alito and Thomas, Alito is the worse of the two. I think his main motivation is resentment over not being named Chief Justice, though. Originally, Roberts was supposed to replace Sandra Day Oā€™Connor, and there have long been rumors that Alito was in line to be the next Chief Justice when Rehnquist retired. But then Rehnquist died, and Bush put Roberts in as Chief Justice and named Harriet Miers to replace Oā€™Connor. I guess he either felt Alito wasnā€™t ready yet, or too controversial. Of course, the Miers nomination was a disaster, and so then Bush nominated Alito, who was a controversial nominee. His confirmation vote was 52-48, with 4 conservative Democrats joining all Republicans to confirm him. I donā€™t think heā€™s ever gotten over not getting a shot at Chief Justice, and I think he kind of just wants to burn it all down from the inside.

11 Likes

So heā€™s going to recuse himself then, right? Right? Bueller?

not funny middle finger GIF by Martellus Bennett

5 Likes

fd8b377ee55519372b19fcef90ee69c08ce3be3cd685da71a03055558a2b6dd3

12 Likes

The bribe wasnā€™t large enough or never came.

4 Likes

15 Likes
14 Likes

interesting what piece of the statement they chose for their headline

ā€œHe must recuse himself from cases involving the 2020 election and [the former president]ā€ the New York Democrat continued in the statement

10 Likes

IMG_4113

14 Likes
10 Likes

This will really piss them off. Not the theocratic part, they are fine with that. The Leninist part. Because they assume that means ā€œcommunist,ā€ rather than "authoritarian.

9 Likes

In the wake of the revelation that a flag signaling support of Donald Trump and the ā€œStop the Stealā€ movement flew in front of the Alito home in January 2021 (plus, you know, thereā€™s the whole ā€œtaking away your rights thingā€œ), a truck advertising a potential ā€œtradeā€ of Samuel Alito was spotted around Philly. In an effort to shake the curse of Dobbs, fans want to give away Alito to the Braves.

12 Likes

Theseā€¦ justicesā€¦ call everyone and their dogs ā€œmarxistsā€ so fuck it. Leninists they are.

ā€œvanguard members of a severe and narrow ideological movement that seeks total power for the purpose of fundamentally reordering society.ā€

7 Likes

Donā€™t trade him, put him on waivers.

7 Likes
14 Likes

7 Likes

Are we sure that he wasnā€™t storming the Capital on Jan 06?

Sure is starting to feel that way.

8 Likes

ā€œAppeal to Heavenā€?

Sam, you literally comprise one-ninth of the highest authority people can appeal things to under our form of government. If you donā€™t like that idea then maybe think about retirement?

6 Likes
9 Likes

ALEXANDER, PRESIDENT OF THE SOUTH
CAROLINA SENATE, ET AL. v. SOUTH CAROLINA
STATE CONFERENCE OF THE NAACP ET AL.

Legislatures can racially gerrymander all they want if they pretend to act ā€œin good faithā€.

11 Likes