SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

In this case, they specifically say they know this interpretation goes against law passed by Congress and they don’t give a shit. This is the Court bypassing both Congress and the Executive to just make shit up. As @danimagoo says, it’s shameless.

13 Likes

… that he knows how to cut and paste diagrams into a Word document? :thinking:

6 Likes

I’m sure there’s a gun range on one of Harlan Crow’s vacation resorts estates.

4 Likes

15 Likes

Didn’t she get the memo that originalism was just a smokescreen to justify regressive judgements?

10 Likes
8 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Reminds me of the egregious drug war bullshit of “well if you have 1 pound of marijuana that must mean you are necessarily a drug dealer” without having to prove that you, you know, actually sell drugs. This is just cementing a portion of the awfulness the drug war infected our legal system with.

10 Likes

Wait…KBJ sided with Thomas and the conservatives, while Gorsuch dissented along with Sotomayor and Kagan? That’s…surprising. And disappointing.

10 Likes

That case is…kind of interesting? Maybe? On the one hand, SCOTUS held that that tax wasn’t unconstitutional. On the other hand, they refused to broaden the holding to include things like wealth taxes, so those are still in legal limbo.

8 Likes
15 Likes

Steve Bannon files for emergency stay from SCOTUS as prison date looms

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/national/capitol-riots/steve-bannon-files-for-emergency-stay-from-scotus-ahead-of-prison-date-donald-trump-peter-navarro/65-d924ba59-be41-4ba0-b6b4-3aae3643bcce

I guess he doesn’t really want to go to prison.

12 Likes

bryan cranston coward GIF

14 Likes

If you can’t do the time, don’t conspire to overthrow the democratically-elected government of the United States.

14 Likes

But… but… he’s WHITE and WEALTHY, how can they treat him like some common criminal for checks notes breaking the law!!! It’s UNFAIR I tells ya!!! Deeeeeeeppppp STATE shit!!! /s

13 Likes
6 Likes

It’s also over in the transphobia thread…

8 Likes

Another case where they did the right thing. Wow…

I hate it that doing even slightly “the right thing” is cause for celebration, rather than ho-hum-another-day sort of thing, but you gotta grab what you can, right?

ETA: You can’t make this shit up

Children’s Health Defense has a lawsuit pending against a number of news organizations, among them The Associated Press, accusing them of violating antitrust laws by taking action to identify misinformation, including about COVID-19 and COVID-19 vaccines.

Yup, how dare they ummm, identify misinformation…

11 Likes

Well…in good news, SCOTUS today rejected a claim that the federal government was violating free speech rights by encouraging social media companies to do something about misinformation.

In bad news, SCOTUS has decided that bribery is perfectly fine at the state and local level unless state and local governments decide to do something about it.

From SCOTUSblog:

Jackson in her dissent notes that the defendant in this case was convicted by a jury of violating the federal law after he steered more than $1 million in city contracts to a local truck dealership, which then gave him a check for $13,000 as a consulting fee. “Snyder’s absurd and atextual reading of the statute is one only today’s Court could love,” Jackson writes.

16 Likes

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

15 Likes

Yeah that was unusually harsh and direct criticism. Usually they try to be more subtle than that when criticizing their fellow Justices.

15 Likes