SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

At the very least, it’s fodder for the presidential debate. Now, if someone would leak the immunity decision…

8 Likes

I am really beginning to think the not-batshit-crazy justices are getting spooked by the horrible stench Alito and Thomas are generating. Hey, now, a boy can dream, right?

12 Likes

Interesting timing with the debate coming up. Maybe they’re trying to perfume a bit the stench of the Tromp Court’s pro-abortion stance?

6 Likes

They’re spooked by the stench, but not the end goal, I suspect. Hence why the case was effectively punted on until, you know, after the election.

5 Likes

7 Likes

I am thinking, on the one hand, this doesn’t bode well for the NLRB (not that the assertions have gone that far, yet)… but on the other hand, they did surprise us by defending the CFPB.

P.S.

11 Likes

SCOTUS is all about allowing red states to shit on the blue states.

12 Likes

This court…Just. Has. Too. MUCH. POWER!!

angry what the hell GIF by Team Coco

12 Likes

And SCOTUS just says it’s perfectly fine to criminalize being homeless. How wonderful.

11 Likes

Special Victims Unit Reaction GIF by Law & Order

Adding

Angry Weight Loss GIF by Bounce

8 Likes

The previous precedent was that enforcing laws banning “camping” in public spaces (like a city park) couldn’t be enforced against unhoused people if the number of unhoused people in the town exceeded the practical number of available shelter spaces in the town, because doing so would violate the 8th Amendment’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment.

In a 6-3 decision (I’ll leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess who the 6 were), SCOTUS just said that doesn’t violate the 8th Amendment. That it’s perfectly fine to arrest and jail an unhoused person who is sleeping in a park, even if they had no other options. I’m not going to read the opinion, because my mental health is already a little on the edge today, but I’m guessing the reasoning is something along the lines of it being the homeless person’s fault, even if that’s not literally what the opinion says.

12 Likes

Take good care of yourself first. For better or worse, this shit ain’t going anywhere any time real soon.

Cookie Monster Love GIF by Sesame Street

11 Likes

Holy shit, they just overturned Chevron. This…this is bad. This is really bad. They could have ruled on this case without overturning Chevron, but they went there. The Administrative State has just been kneecapped.

19 Likes

That has soooo many knock-on effects. Holy shit, what a clusterfuck!!

Season 18 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

13 Likes

Oooh! Oooh! Does at least 1/6 own an RV?

In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

-Anatole France

7 Likes

I quote that often. It’s my favorite quote I learned in law school. And the Supreme Court has decided that was meant literally and not as a criticism.

13 Likes

I’m certain I saw it on the BBS in the 1st place, so thanks, y’all!

8 Likes

Trainwreck, and not in slow motion either.

■■■■■ has been describing America as a hellscape for years; conservatives are trying to align reality with his rhetoric ahead of his coronation.

11 Likes

SCOTUS Power grabs

Major Questions Doctrine: If it’s a Big Deal, the Court gets extra power, and what’s a Big Deal is up to the Court

Civil Rights Act: Renewal was Constitutional before, but Justices feel like the law isn’t helpful now

Chevron: Experts can’t make expert decisions, only judges can

8 Likes

Jesus Christ, add another atrocious and potentially democracy-destroying ruling to the list.

14 Likes