Scythe vs. Weedwhacker

and that reminds me of this:

2 Likes

[quote=“Medievalist, post:57, topic:55642”]
Hooky weapons - scythes, bills, warhammers, lochaber axes, etc. - are great for pulling armored cavalry off their horses…
[/quote]In addition to unchivalrously ducking and hacking at the horse legs.

1 Like

I like how he flexes at the beginning. As if being buff will somehow prevent him from getting his leg chopped off.

1 Like

Why is there a UK National Scythe Champion in the first place?

I may be the only person on this thread who knows exactly what you’re referring to: both Arlo’s parody, and the original sea shanty. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

Not yesterday, I was talking to someone with a child who is an arborist, and we immediately got onto the subject of the ‘woodsman’ competitions with a lot of dudes using axes and super-tuned chainsaws to chop, halve, float, and/or mangle giant pieces of wood, in addition to racing up and down what I would assume are 100ft+ trees. See also, Wood Chopping (Wikipedia).

I find it hard to believe that any arborist would spend their free time engaging in woodsman competitions!

Because scythe matters. Duh.

7 Likes

In my defense, I brought it up because I recall seeing those weekend competitions on TV and wondering if people really still needed to be able to run up a 100ft [limbless] tree and then get back down to the ground in minutes, but I really thought the monster chainsaws tuned like racecars were the bees knees!

1 Like

Thats what she said.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.