Sean Connery, 1930-2020

4 Likes

So in light of this… who’s the man now, dog?

2 Likes

Unrelated to that:

Q: What time did Sean Connery like to arrive at Wimbledon?

A: Tennish.

7 Likes

If I remember correctly, the original DVD of Outland was a real turkey. It’s advertised as 16x9 anamorphic, but only the trailer fits the bill. The telecine is unstable, and the picture is atrocious,. The Bluray may be better, but I never picked it up.

Outland

1 Like

Honestly, he was probably the only Bond who played the character 100% seriously. It was all tongue in cheek after that. Thanks for a great career - we really enjoyed it. God Speed, Sir Sean.

4 Likes

Timothy Dalton very much tried. He was the face of the gritty reboot before gritty reboots were a thing.

11 Likes

My copy of Outland was on CED. I bought it used so it skipped a bit. Them was the days.

3 Likes

Wow. That is some pretty fucked up attitude. I hope that he grew a fair bit wiser in his later years.

1 Like

“And THEN what are you prepared to do?..You want to get Capone, here’s how you get him. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. THAT’S the Chicago way, and that’s how you get Capone.”

4 Likes

still searching for red october the top secret submarine…

You are, I am, we all are.

2 Likes

He was 57 when he gave that interview!

Sure, but he lived 33 more years, so he would have had some time to come to his senses.

But it appears he never even apologized for expressing that „opinion“.

This video is better than the previous one which ended with an edited-in “humorous” slap. (I imagine you, being already familiar with the interview, didn’t watch the video precisely to the end, at first. I’ve been there.)

OTOH, the interviewer’s ending quote of “By the way, Sean Connery has been married to Micheline (sp) for thirty-one years, and we have not heard a single comp—“ just may be worse.

2 Likes

That was exactly what happened and I was appalled.
This one at least capture all of what he was saying but Barbra Walter commentary at the end and beginning is problematic.
Like have we not heard anything from Micheline because she has been slapped, and how does she know he regrets the interview.

1 Like

I just rewatched Zardoz a few months ago. I was reminded the beginning is sampled for one of my favorite My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult songs. (It is the opening line.)

I never got that much into Bond. The role Connery played that I liked the most was Ramirez in The Highlander.

I realized when TCM showed Zardoz recently, they cut out some major bits from the TV Saturday Afternoon show version of it.

zardoz11

5 Likes

One of my favorite (and underrated) Connery films. Its a gritty prison movie with a period and setting twist.

6 Likes

I found a used copy on VHS for a dollar. I’d never heard of it before. I somehow didn’t find it that interesting, but I remember luttle of it.

1 Like