Sean Connery, 1930-2020

c087306f-5de1-4814-999c-597229a1c3d7

I’ll always remember him as Ramírez from Highlander, and Kurgan is still my favorite villain. Any man that can show up in the middle of Scotland wearing a cape of peacock feathers, a bright red dandy outfit, and a katana, better have the gravitas to play a character like that- and Connery is about the only person who could have.

If anyone else had walked on screen like that, I’d have laughed my ass off.

This hurts personally a bit, since I was always proud to mention I had the same birthday as him.

Mocking him by ending his obituary with simply the word “shame” is shitty. Yes I do understand he was not the greatest person toward women, but to even compare him to someone like Donald Trump (which no one has done here), the real misogynist is in the White House.

This man was an incredible actor, I’m not here to act as an apologist for him but let his career and his accomplishments bringing so much culture to the world in his movies speak for themselves.

6 Likes

Cosigned, and I would also add Outland to the list just because I am a total sucker for anything that can be described as blue-collar people in spaaaaaaace!*

*not Armageddon, though. Yuck.

14 Likes

I thoughtt the hostility betweeen “Trebek” and “Connery” was made up by the SNL writers.

1 Like

Mel Gibson and Russell Crowe would argue. Because that’s what they do when they’re not on screen. So many actors are shitty human beings. I’m not sure it’s not a requirement. It is what it is.

4 Likes

I think to be a stage or screen actor, it helps to have a certain level of ego and narcissism. These traits don’t often lend themselves to one being a beloved person.

5 Likes

goldfinger bond cell door

14 Likes

And unbounded libido. Backstage fuckery is a thing.

We should listen to children more, IMO.

Also a fan of Time Bandits and it was just such a complicated movie. I think it sailed over the heads of many people.

Honestly it’s a miracle the film got made at all!

12 Likes

Yes, he was great in all the roles noted. But I’ll always have a soft spot for a minor role in Hell Drivers, with a great UK cast of British actors of that era (1957)

proxy-image

19 Likes

You had a DB5? Damn, that’s pretty cool.
They were able to wring out a hell of a lot of HP out of that straight 6 engine, particularly for the time.
BMW didn’t get that kind power out of an inline 6 till the M88 motor, if I remember correctly.

4 Likes

High Noon in space. Good call.

8 Likes

download

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I have Outland on DVD, needed the right time to watch it. I did see it once when it came out.

1 Like

Though of course he’s famous for James Bond, his death made me realize how many times he’s turned up in other works that I enjoy, from Zardoz to Indiana Jones, and his presence was always distinct and enjoyable. He’s one of those celebrities that you subconsciously assume is going to live forever, and as a sort of reassuring background part of pop culture, he will definitely be missed.

Next week on BoingBoing: “The man who ruined acting”

12 Likes

You mean he said:

“Excushe me, do you know how to print thish.”

RIP good Sir!

7 Likes

4 Likes

That is one of those, “you only get one first timel moments. Like watching the Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, or the Game.

I can’t believe that played on regular old T.V. Back in the day. My sister and I still send Zardoz photos back and forth, because the movie was so funny to us and incomprehensible as kids.

Oddly, his outfit didn’t seem weird to us.

He did appear in more than one movie with a floating disembodied head. Highlander, the Bond films- he was in a lot of weird stuff.
Source: Mashup gif by me. Clip from the movie Zardoz 1974, GIF found on Tenor.com - made by user Gimetzco, text added using Ezgif, Gif here

8 Likes

Yeah, that league of extraordinary …something.

This was up on The New European yesterday. Still there. An interesting insight.

8 Likes

But he prefaced it with the query…“I mustache you a queshtion, or shall I shave it for laterrr?”

7 Likes