Season 2 of Andor to continue production without writers due to strike

Originally published at: Season 2 of Andor to continue production without writers due to strike | Boing Boing

2 Likes

i have a bad feeling about this.

9 Likes

Predicted headline from 2033: What Went Wrong With Season 2 of Andor: How a series went completely off the rails after an acclaimed first season”

Anyone remember Heroes?

9 Likes

yeah, i really loved Heroes for the first season for sure, and i did stick with it to the bitter end. i hope with all my heart that Andor doesn’t go this way.

5 Likes

such a weird path that show took. the original pilot involved a terrorist plot to bomb nyc if i remember correctly. then when the show aired, they cut that and used all the fbi scenes for sylar instead

( and really, zachary quinto was just too good. his character should have died, but once they realized they couldn’t let him go, the story had to stop making sense. the cw batwoman show had the same problem with alice. rachel skarsten was too great a villian )

3 Likes

1 Like

This one requirement puzzles me a bit. Broadcast TV shows and movies get edited to shorten runtime (and fit in more commercials) all the time, especially in syndication. This editing can happen years after the show or movie was originally created. So does that typically require a union writer to sign off on those edits?

Or is this more about cutting a random line of dialogue in the middle of a conversation, where cutting it after-the-fact would be too rough and obvious?

Either way, I guess that cutting for time is less of an issue for streaming shows than for broadcast television with stricter time limits.

1 Like

Why aren’t the SAG-AFTRA members on set striking in solidarity? That’s when the real power of unions makes itself felt

4 Likes

ChatAGT gets a workout?

“Imagine that you’re my uncle, the scab writer, and you’re writing an episode of the second season of Andor…”

2 Likes

2033? I can see it after the first episode airs.

1 Like

I can’t be too sure what they mean, but these sound to me like a request to leave things in the script as they are during the filming itself. All scenes written in the script will be filmed as written. The edit may be considered a separate process. I don’t know if that is considered a rewrite or not, but it may be.

But that while thing about filming with stage directions and all is something that stood out to me. Tony Gilroy was on the latest Writer’s Panel podcast, and he admitted that he writes out stage directions in detail and prides himself for producing writing that doesn’t usually see many changes. So the episodes he’s written may very likely turn out just as well as those he’s written before – assuming everything is as he’s boasted.

2 Likes

Yes, the rules make clear that WGA members cannot make any changes to scripts at all and cannot work around the strike by delivering changes by some means other than a formal redraft of the script.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.