Seattle person confuses Norwegian flag with Confederate flag

Sure but my whole point in coming back with my post was I was getting the sense that most folks were piling on with the pitchforks. Is is not like the flag was readily identifiable beyond doubt. And I was going over my feelings as I was reading the Seattle Times article yesterday morning, Thinking Christ what a moron…oh that is understandable.

1 Like

Of course not!

Your neighbor might be a drug addled satanist boing boing reader with a bazooka just waiting for someone to knock on the door! You can’t take that chance!

No, the best way to avoid conflict whilst furthering justice is clearly to denounce your neighbors in your local newspaper. That just makes so much more sense if you don’t want any ugly confrontations with the person living right next to you.

3 Likes

Or, you know, look it up. I’ve seen weird flags in the wild (like a giant flag from Portugal being flown by a little car). It doesn’t take much to look flag designs up.

Though there is one that I can’t seem to find anywhere. I used to drive by this house with an American flag with a circle with a black and white deer in the middle. I tried to find one. I have no idea what it means. I thought either they were hunters or huge Jagermeister fans. It grew faded and tattered, I thought about leaving a copy fo the flag code, but then figured technically it wasn’t an American flag. Then at some point they got a new, fresh one.

1 Like

Anyone else see this as an example of the triumph of American education, (or lack thereof?)

1 Like

That’s the key thing for me - if it just sorta looked like a confederate flag when the wind wasn’t blowing, then maybe it’s a bit eager to be trying to stir up the newspaper.

1 Like

“So I THREW the rock”

2 Likes

1 Like

@wait really – The most westerly battle of the Civil War was at Jacksonville, Oregon. It ended when the wives of the combatants came out, grabbed their spouses by the ears, and dragged them back home…

3 Likes

We really should get ‘Seattle Person’ and ‘Florida Man’ together.
I’m not at all certain that the results would bee good as such, but I’m positive that it would be entertaining.

Note that @anon85905360 is referring to the German version of “sovereign citizens”: dangerous cranks who have really made the news ever since one of them shot and killed a cop, and since a professor lost tenure for professing that the state that gave him his tenure doesn’t exist.

There aren’t that many of them, but they are out there, and they are seriously fucked up people.

4 Likes

They’ve been here too.

From what I can discern, it was more of a gunfight over ownership of the town paper? No casualties though.

From what I read 50 or so years ago, it was an alcohol-fueled confrontation between two groups of men who had strong opinions and weak judgement.

Usually during World Cup season.

1 Like

What’s weird about that? The little car?

BTW: Ever been to the country of the Carnation Revolution? It’s really, really worth it. First European country with a fresh stance on the war on drugs. And seriously, lovely people with great humour.
Also, Há caracóis?

Aw come on that is some really malicious quoting :frowning_face: :smiley:

Ow, mate, you got your own version of these asshats?

They usually made local news, driving with fake papers issued by a fake embassy or fake ministry, and argueing with police officers that they would be no officers but employees of Germany, LTD (Deutschland GmbH), but since fucking millenial-AOL aka Facebook made it easier to trap yourself in a rabbit hole full of cranks they gained so much traction that they now need to be taken as a serious threat to other people. The case where a former *Mr.Germany* (oh, the best irony!) shot a police officer was just a meltdown from a weird tip of an iceberg.

I have a friend who’s working for a large, ecologically motivated (read: left-wing) campaign. She had to deal with those people on a regular basis. They don’t realise they are right-wing nutters, at all. Truly lost cases, if I ever saw one. I’ve argued with some of them, and really every time I tried, I was shocked. “Conspiracy theories” doesn’t describe this properly, even though all the boxes are ticked.

I live in a part of Munich with a large minority presence – mostly from Turkey and the Balkans. Also a lot of Russian immigrants, who complain about all the foreigners in the neighbourhood, a sort of unintentional irony. For about a year now, some asshat has been slapping stickers from the Identitäre Bewegung up all over the place, and I have been scraping them off with my pen knife whenever I encounter one.

Circling back to the main topic, I wonder if the Seattle person apologised for her (understandable) mistake? It seems so natural, but we can get so wrapped up, so invested that saying even “oops, my bad” feels too humiliating.

2 Likes

Imagine a small car like a compact Honda flying a GIANT flag, I mean it was probably as long as the car. With it fluttering on a PVC pole or what ever they used for a flag staff. They were driving down the road honking with it flowing in the night. My theory after I looked it up was either they had won an important football game, or it was their 4th of July or something.

No - never been. Probably won’t get overseas again in my life time. yes I do like their drug stance. I find our preposterous and damaging to society and at least partly responsible for our higher crime.

1 Like

Sorry, I’ve spent the last week with a really bad cold and i didn’t realise that people could read it like that until you pointed it out.

I’ve changed it to make it clear it wasn’t your belief.

1 Like