Seattle person confuses Norwegian flag with Confederate flag

A quote from early season 1 mixed with a photo from late season 2 of “Fortitude”:

“He’s Norwegian.”

3 Likes

FTFY

Confederate%20Norway

7 Likes

That’s Van Zandt?? Hell’s bells I’m old.

At least it wasn’t the Kriegsmarine flag.

I believe they had it confused with this one. Which some of us will recognize.

Too late!

2 Likes

He was Born
November 22, 1950 (age 67)
Time travel thread notwithstanding- we’re all on the same relentless march forward.

A fun show.

That is the “Wirmer-Flag”, created around 1944 around the German “patriotic resistance” against Nazism - i.e., the people who did not have a bad word for Hitler until he was clearly losing the war. That a handful of them sacrificed their lives in attempts of resistance exonerates them personally, but not as a whole this too-little, too-late, slow-to-catch on quagmire of “patriotic” opportunists. Befittingly, the flag has in the last decade or so been adopted by the neo-fascist “Reichs’ citizens movement”, who by-and-large live by the idea that all of post-1945 German history and politics has been illegal in terms of the law of nations, and the rightful government should have continued with Hitler’s 2nd-in-command, Rudolf Hess. Some German news channels and politicians have been trying to talk to these people and reason with them. But in my not-so-humble opinion, the only appropriate things to say to this despicable lot are “shut up”, “fuck off”, and “Go hang yourself, you miserable piece of Nazi shit!”.

7 Likes

Unggh unfortunately they’re somewhat popular in Portland. Off the top of my head, there’s a house on se Holgate that flies one in their backyard (within the 80’s, not in Gresham) about a ten minute walk from my house.

Then again, it shouldn’t be a surprise, Oregon has the most racist history of any non-slave state.

1 Like

I was trying to figure out how to work that in.
I know a Norwegian living in the US (who is, needless to say, not at all sympathetic to Trump), and he likes to joke about that all the time. "Oh, it turns out I got Trump all wrong…"

[Also insert joke about the only Confederate flag that matters being the white one. Which is also historically accurate - there was a Confederate flag that was almost all white (because of white supremacy, natch), with the familiar bit in the corner. But they dropped it because when there was no wind, it looked like they were surrendering. Only known case of a prophetic flag. ]

5 Likes

Somewhere, someone is writing an alternate history civil war between the North and Norway.

3 Likes

I know he had a surprising amount of freedom after he was imprisoned by the British in 1941, but I think that the military/POW hospital where he was staying would have decided that allowing him to run the country that Britain had just been at war with was a bit too far.

1 Like

And there is now this :laughing:

2 Likes

My Great Grandfather built the first Lutheran Church in Eli MN. FOB from Oslo. My Mother used to always say
A thousand Swedes Ran through the weeds chased by one Norwegian

1 Like

Daltonist Redneck flag:
jm

1 Like

In the 150 year old bid to stamp out the last fires of the confederacy, there’s gonna be some collateral damage.

From the U.S. perspective Norwegians ARE aliens.

1 Like

You mean like…
immortal-600x400

4 Likes

Respectfully disagree. Calling the fire department when you smell smoke only to find it’s a legit leaf burning event is one thing as the consequences of ignoring something burning could be disaster but alerting the news media without even bothering to see if your opinion has a basis in facts is never going to be correct.

Presuming one’s assumptions are correct when it takes seconds to check something these days is intellectually lazy and puts one in the same boat as our current “Dear Leader”.

4 Likes

Wellll… understandable mistake, sure. But maybe it would have been worth her while to look more closely before writing to the paper. I know I wouldn’t have been too impressesed in the neighbour’s place.