Second WH official resigns over domestic abuse, David Sorensen's ex-wife tells of violence

I assume you mean you knew someone would get around to saying what I did, since nothing I’ve said in the past would lead you to that conclusion about me personally.
Honestly, if you read Sorensen’s response and can make some good arguments against it, I’d appreciate it. This is the first time I’ve ever been in the position of feeling like I needed to defend either a LePage henchman or a man accused of abusing his wife, and it’s unfamiliar, uncomfortable and I’m not enjoying it. I’m open to being convinced that he really is a monster.

No, that’s not what I’m saying

2 Likes

Then I’m confused - what are you saying?

That your “Hey, I’m just sayin!” was . . . interesting.

2 Likes

In retrospect, I should have written it as “I have no idea if Sorensen’s statements are true, but after reading them it seems like this story is complicated and the guy might not be the monster that he’s being portrayed as.”

It’s possible I’m under appreciating the offensiveness of the phrase “I’m just saying,” but it strikes me as unfortunate that we’re going back and forth over my phrasing rather than the substance of what I said. As I mentioned before, I’m both willing and eager to be convinced that he’s entirely in the wrong.

I don’t think that this is quite fair. There are those among us who learn more and more about having a relationship as we go along.

2 Likes

This is just such nonsense. Here’s an editorial from the CBC about recent allegations against Steve Paiken (who I don’t expect people outside Ontario to know, other than maybe from moderating some Canadian political debates).

The point at the end of the column - that it’s not so easy to make false allegations - is also illustrated by the failed project veritas “sting” operation against the Washington Post regarding Roy Moore. Or the failed attempt to discredit Chuck Schumer with a made up allegation.

You can’t just lie and ruin someone’s life. If you go to the media they will investigate thoroughly before they print anything. As Urback says in the linked piece, bombshell allegations are not bombshells in the news room, they know about them for months before they have what it takes to actually go to print. If you go to the police, who rarely find cause to follow up on real assaults, you risk being arrested yourself (or at least sternly talked to).

The scope of the conspiracy that would need to exist to successfully fabricate allegations is incredible. The scales are extremely heavily weighted in favour of the accused.

No one is suspending their judgment or good sense because of #metoo, we’re just improving our judgment.

ETA: I don’t mean to lump Sarah Thompson (Paiken’s accuser) in with project veritas. I don’t have any more reason to think she is being malicious or inventing things to serve an agenda than I do to think that Paiken did what she says he did.

3 Likes

Can we at least agree that it’s a good idea to away from ableist slurs like “retard” and its many partisan-oriented portmanteaus? Insult all you like, but at least shoot for creativity. Xtard is just lazy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.