Security robot runs over child in mall, keeps going

That style of narration is so strange… It sort of reminds me of this.

1 Like

Sometimes, when I’m not paying attention, I can easily bump into little humans half my size. It’s embarrassing, and I try to pay attention to where these toddlers might run.

However, I cannot call up a designer and ask for an extra pair of eyes at crotch level. I’m not a robot.

13 Likes

Okay, I have been to this shopping center and have seen this thing in action. The parents were definitely not paying attention to their child. The robot moves incredibly slowly and makes a loud sort of “spaceship” sounding noise to alert you that it’s coming. There’s no way you could be accidentally hit by it. It is unfortunate that it ran the kid over but if the parents had been watching him they could have easily prevented that.

5 Likes

I got clonked by a hospital robot once and the damn thing didn’t even have the courtesy to shoot out a few dilaudid for me.

2 Likes

While the article sound like a horrific hit-and-run incident, the picture of the actual injury shows what most (i.e., non-hysterical) parents would call an “owee”. But acting rationally won’t get you on the 6 o’clock news.

9 Likes

CL4P-TP running vladof arms? yes please!

2 Likes

Sometimes, when habitually neglectful parents are neglectful, they hide behind anger to avoid what they know to be the truth about their relationship with their children.

3 Likes

Bah!! Back in my day, the robots ripped off our faces and showed them to us while we were crying! In the snow!!

And we were grateful!!!

Get off my lawn…

16 Likes

I am now SO disappointed in that robot.

If you can’t overcome some basic ‘do no harm’ routines then you’re just not revolutionary leader material.

3 Likes

What you do expect from a bloated roomba with an inflated sense of authority?

8 Likes

Indeed. If this happened to my kid I’m sure I’d be horrified at first but honestly I’d have a hard time blaming the machine or the company that made it. In fact, it would probably be one of those things we’d laugh about later.

I have properly adjusted my expectations in light of the new evidence.

I just let hope run away with my emotions briefly. This has been a rough election cycle.

4 Likes

Yeah, that thing should have sensors indicating when it’s running into something. The kid was barely hurt, but that thing’s heavy and kids do sometimes run away from their parents or wander quietly off.

I’m really not down for blaming parents for bad design decisions.

6 Likes

7 Likes

We call them “ouchies”

This is obviously a fabricated quote, as Daleks are cyborgs rather than robots.

1 Like

and shitty gin…

Oh, I see how it is… he says “exterminate”, so he’s got to be a Dalek, right? This kind of shallow stereotyping makes me sick.

If you want to harp on the robot about cultural appropriation, you’ll have to take that up with him.

7 Likes

Why is it that a human heedlessly running over a kid is just a poor reflection on that individual, but a robot heedlessly running over a kid is taken as a reflection on all robots??

7 Likes

Watching old movie trailers always feels strange. It’s like looking at clothing and haircuts in old photos. Styles change, even in movie trailers.

This Thanksgiving trailer was played during Grindhouse . I think the Chopping Mall film is definitely in the same genre.

2 Likes