Sen. Whitehouse gives eyeopening presentation during Barrett hearing on dark money's influence on Supreme Court nominations

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/13/sen-whitehouse-gives-eyeopening-presentation-during-barrett-hearing-on-dark-moneys-influence-on-supreme-court-nominations.html

14 Likes

RI Conservatives hate Whitehouse with a deep passion. I wonder why?

21 Likes

The social issues are important, but the real game is right here.

It’s always about $$$$.

I have a theory Ms Originalism is going originalize the Federal Government and destroy national social programs like Medicaid and Social Security.

16 Likes

Did Barrett reply afterwards?
Looking at her face, it seems she’d have no arguments to throw on the table, not even plausible sounding canned lies.

8 Likes

Lying is a sin. May god strike her and pence deaf, mute and dead.

9 Likes

And, and, he is actually a nice, kind, decent person IRL.

10 Likes

I’ll settle for the likely Coronavirus infection she got from being in close proximity to plague spreading Republicans/

7 Likes

You all need to put a Whitehouse in the White H…

At least she didn’t fall asleep or something.

7 Likes

Remember how Kavanaugh mysteriously and inexplicably paid off 6 figures of credit card debt between 2016 and 2017? For “baseball tickets” they say… It sure is a good thing he got his finances “in order” because it would be a hell of a thing if members of the upper echelons of our government were indebted to mysterious third parties…

I’d like to order a round of unicorn chasers, please.

26 Likes

we’ll have to dig this up right before his impeachment.

8 Likes

she already had covid earlier in the year, iirc

4 Likes

2nd time’s a charm?

6 Likes

This is probably about the clearest and most concise summary anyone could have given, and it’s still about 8 minutes longer than most people will sit still for. So its ability to influence the public will depend entirely on where they go to get news condensed into one-minute chunks.

So even if this proves to be a hit with legitimate news outlets, which it might, at least half of Turmp voters will probably never hear a single word of it.

6 Likes
9 Likes

As far as I can tell this is mostly just political performance art, right? Is there anything that really can be done ATM in regards to swaying Barrett or the hearts of other supreme court judges?

Is there any additional information here? I’d love to read through the “80 cases”, read more into his argument. There’s no doubt petro-chemical lobbies have done some horrible things, but would love some investigative journalists going more in-depth here.

Arguments like this are to be expected from rando ideologues, but I hate to hear it from an elected official. She should know that the Constitution is a negative rights document. It doesn’t list everything we’re allowed to do, it only provides a framework for categories of rights the government is not allowed to take away. The word “pudding” doesn’t appear, but that doesn’t mean pudding is unconstitutional. FFS.

EDIT: Apologies that BBS is making that look like your quote @KathyPartdeux. Those are Sen. Blackburn’s words.

4 Likes

It’s me quoting Charles Pierce, who is quoting Blackburn. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

It’s quotations, all the way down…

5 Likes

4 Likes

That there video was a beautifully delivered, tragic elegy for our democracy. And a great opening argument for packing the Court.

2 Likes