Sex pest reporter returns to work at the New York Times

Another answer to the “why didn’t they speak up?”
Not only do the victims of abuse/ harassment get smeared in the press/ fired from their jobs/ get to recreate the episode of abuse-- this is the well known and talked about reason that guys in positions of power can abuse it to do all sorts of icky things
But the less talked about consequence is even if you are believed (and plenty aren’t) STILL nothing will happen to your abuser.
This is why your POC reporter from a small town doesn’t and the white male senior reporter does-- they know that they are untouchable whether or not their victim is believed.

2 Likes

I’m guessing they were alluding to the fact that the NYT has been doing all kinds of soft focus Nazis, They’re just like us article for the past year. Things like this https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/25/us/ohio-hovater-white-nationalist.html

1 Like

Considering the number of papers that have had massive layoffs and that his offense included spreading lies about his victims, I’d imagine they can find another comparably skilled journalist without the trust issues and supporting sexual harassment.

3 Likes

Really, all kinds? I remember the hoopla the article you linked to created. I just read a good chunk of it – I don’t see it excusing anything Nazi-related, or even making it sound sane/appealing. And the guy did lose his job after the article was published, har.

No but really, if you think The New York Times has a “let’s be soft on Nazis” agenda, you’re a nutter. It may not be a raging leftist rag, it’s certainly not. That doesn’t actually make it the exact opposite.

2 Likes

Yeah, with the exception of their long history of anti-Palestinian propagandizing, they seem to be pretty middle of the road politically, or even slightly left-leaning.

(And they have a good Arts section.)

The 10,000 foot view here is that this should happen some of the time. That someone who’s called out for misconduct of this sort, suspended from work, apologizes, and completes counseling should be allowed to return to work thereafter. (I don’t know what the right percentage is. 25%? 20%?)

Per Laura McGann’s piece on vox, this is not one of those 20% cases, though. That’s some serious hostile work environment territory. :frowning:

Hmmm, tell that to the Israelis. They literally have posters up across the street from The Times much of the time, blasting the newspaper for being anti-Israel.

But I agree, The Times is fairly centrist, and even leans a bit right when it comes to economic/financial reporting, some conflict reporting, etc.

2 Likes

Not only that, but the old “it was the booze, not me” thrown in to boot. Sheesh.

3 Likes

The key there is “seem to be”.

The NYT is a right-wing institution that presents itself as centrist. It’s the major channel for centrist-targeting right wing propaganda.

They’ve always been shitty, and there is reason to believe that the editorial and ownership of the NYT are active supporters of Trumpism.

3 Likes

Good discussion of NYT editorial bias in this podcast:

1 Like
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.