Sf wars what is best post your lists here

It was on Hulu for a while. You can buy the complete DVD set for $13 on Amazon. You might even save on shipping if you buy it together with Cleopatra 2525.

3 Likes

No one mentioned The Expanse? I think it’s my favorite space opera in recent years.

5 Likes

I can’t believe no one else liked Dollhouse. It seemed at first like cheesy schlock and then went down a serious, though provoking rabbit hole. I got tired of Orphan Black because the actual SF took a far backseat to the conspiracy crap and general running around. I’m also rewatching another show not on anyone’s list, Sarah Connor Chronicles. It was damn good for network SF, and I’m on record as hating time travel.

The Expanse has a lot of promise, I just need to put logic on hold when they do crap like hunt ice in a ship the size of a small city. Wouldn’t matter if they didn’t make resource scarcity a central plot point.

Lastly, no love for Stargate SG-1? It could be silly, but was usually pretty well produced, written, acted, and entertaining.

2 Likes

Yes I like dollhouse sarah connor chronicles and sg1. Who doesn’t?

1 Like

Person of Interest definitely starts out that way. But it turns into a really complex show about artificial intelligence. We couldn’t stop watching it. “If-Then-Else” in season 4 is just … incredible.

5 Likes

No one else apparently, I did not seem them in any lists.

A buddy of mine who made props for them kept bugging me to watch it, but as far as I could get in S1 it was just procedural. And I can’t stand those anymore. Maybe there’s a list of “mythology” episodes somewhere like they had for X-Files.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it yet. D:[quote=“gellfex, post:43, topic:85008”]
I can’t believe no one else liked Dollhouse.
[/quote]

I gave it a try but I couldn’t make it through. I got to the episode with Felicia Day and gave up.

I forgot to mention SG-1. I watched it pretty far in but it wasn’t for me. I loved the Stargate movie and Amanda Tapping is awesome but I couldn’t get past the best part of the movie (for me) being completely lost so they could do episodic stuff without learning the language.

I did enjoy the episode with Armin Shimerman that borrowed the plot off that TOS episode A Private Little War even though it was a terrible episode (IMDB says it’s The Nox). :laughing:

Yeah, the language thing is plot lubricant like the Transporter for ST, suspension of disbelief is required for many shows on this score. But no more so than for believing that the star of Alias could speak so many languages like a native or that Chloe on ‘24’ could hack anything in minutes. Its absurd sometimes how they would tap dance around the fact they’re always having to decipher writing but can walk up to anyone and be understood.

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem to be available in england for some stupid reason.

Respect for Holmes and YoYo! It crossed my mind but to my shame I didn’t give it real consideration. A lovable forgotten classic from sweeter times.
Incidentally, have you seen the outrageous Wikipedia entry for H&Y? It seems to be condemning it to a status of amongst the “worst TV shows of all time” based on the say-so of a single IMDB list that, as far as I can tell, purports to be connected with “TV Guide” in some way…

1 Like

I liked them too, though I thought Dollhouse got a little tiresome after a few episodes.

I guess one is so used to seeing SG1 on these lists that its absence can sneak by.

Since Manimal came up, I guess its sibling Automan deserves a mention.

Oh, I want to add one more, though I might be the only person anywhere that liked it: Andromeda (which to be sure could have been a few seasons shorter).

1 Like

What, no Star Cops?

I loved these shows. Of course, I was like … ten.

Literally to this day when someone takes a corner too fast, we’ll whip around and plaster our face against the window like that Automan scene.

2 Likes

I considered listing it. The first few episodes were indeed shlock. From what I’ve read, the improvement came when Joss Whedon wrestled control back from Fox. I liked it enough to hang in until the end, and it improved greatly, but I felt it never really found its feet.

The reason I like Orphan Black so much is that there is a strong weighting of science over fiction. The setting is present-day and the science portrayed is not far from actual research into cloning and DNA, at least to the layman (me). There is no recourse to magic or superpowers, with the possible exception of Kira’s clairvoyance. Certainly it’s a conspiracy thriller, so your tolerance for that genre will determine how you rank it.

2 Likes

Holy crap! I didn’t mention Mr. Robot !

• slaps face that Mr. Robot was staring in all along *
2 Likes

It’s pretty close for the top 3. I’m not sure if Life on Mars is scifi, but it’s more than your standard police procedural.
ST: TNG
Firefly
ST: VGR
Doctor Who
ST: TOS
ST: DS9
Twilight Zone
Life on Mars BBC
Battlestar Galactica
Stranger Things

1 Like

I watched the first episode of Andromeda thinking that perhaps they were trying for a Lexx-style hypercheese parody.

But, no, they were serious. Yikes.

2 Likes

Andromeda was, in concept, pure Roddenberry of the old school/TOS variety. Naive and low-budget but full of his characteristic optimism in the face of huge obstacles. He even used his favorite name (Dylan Hunt) for the main character; he gave this name to the main character of a couple of his unsuccessful movies/pilots.

2 Likes

No relation to Garret Dillahunt!