Share your unpopular music opinions

I can’t stand Nick Cave’s voice.

I’ve been told it’s ‘unAustralian’ to have this opinion.

Edited to add: oh, and ACDC fucking suck, too.

5 Likes

Probably. If he’s not too busy at his <a href=“http://www.americanbadassbeer.com/“target=”_blank”>brewery. Frankly, it’s better for all of us if he’s too busy at the brewery. I say this as someone more likely than most on the BBS to be bombarded by whatever crap he turns out, be it beer or “music”.

[edit] @Humbabella: Close. They totally sucked. Who decided it would be a good idea to let the whiny guy have the microphone?

OT: Geddy Lee’s voice sounds like somebody strangling a cat.

1 Like

Even I knew that, and I didn’t know a bout the flute thing.

So I trust him less.

:crying_cat_face_classic:

Western music mostly did not get interesting until serialism and the atonal avant-garde works of the 20th century.

2 Likes

Mozart is a commercial pop.

2 Likes

Most rock is just the minstrel show in white-face.

2 Likes

Oh shit, yeah. I saw him live in the auditorium of Concordia University’s Hall Building back in the One Ton days (around the time of that clip, I guess). We had it great back then - bands that were in town to play at the Esquire would do a freebie afternoon warm-up gig in the Hall Building, and we’re not talking minor talent: Kirk, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, John Lee Hooker… And, if you couldn’t make it to the auditorium, they’d pipe it through the PA throughout the building.

At any rate, it was wild seeing him play all those instruments, holding a drone on the baritone for huge periods of time. He was funny - before he started Serenade, he said, “Look at this guy (no names mentioned) - he stole my song, he stole my style. He lives in a mansion and has a Rolls; I live in the 'burbs and have a Chevy. Now, is that fair?”

5 Likes

That is off topic because that is a very popular opinion.

14 Likes

It is? Guess I live to close to Canada. It’s verboten to speak ill of Rush.

2 Likes

The Random Pandora Stream is exactly what most people want from music.

3 Likes

I live in Canada, and they are awful. Only a tiny segment of the population of any nation likes prog rock.

3 Likes

Fair enough. Then I will continue…

Steely Dan makes me violently angry on an order of magnitude that eclipses the similar response I get from Country and/or Western. If I had a time machine and infinite power, I would go back in time and nuke them from orbit the first day they showed up to record their first album.

2 Likes

Best album of the year!

11 Likes

See, that’s what I thought this was going to be when I saw the headline. Not so much “I hate Led Zeppelin” as “I like Toto.”

Which I do, up through 1982 or so anyway.

1 Like

Only a tiny segment of the population of any nation likes prog rock.

Depends on who, when and where - Tous les palmiers (Beau Dommage) was hugely popular in la Francophonie, and surprisingly popular with Anglo Quebeckers at least. Early Genesis (Peter Gabriel days), Gentle Giant and King Crimson were all guaranteed sold-out shows in Montreal in my days there.

4 Likes

Jethro Tull went downhill pretty rapidly when Mick Abrahams left the band…

2 Likes

TRANS was the best Neil Young album ever!!!

6 Likes

Bob Dylan wrote one good song, and he couldn’t play it right.

10 Likes

Agreed. Also in Canada, and I think Rush sucks too. See also: Neil Young.

Another unpopular opinion: I can’t stand Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.