"She was being very Asian": Listen to Karen complain about Korean-American news anchor commenting that she ate dumplings on New Year's Day, as is her tradition

Burgoo?

4 Likes

I’m going to have some in about an hour and I’m excited.

7 Likes

we are having soup dumplings as happy hour knoshes in a few hours. not dumplings floating in soup, steamed dumplings with boiling hot soup inside. fun to eat (and scald your face) and so very yummy. tonight, it is beef pho dumplings, my favorite!

19 Likes

Let’s see. . . TV news piece about the traditions of other cultures. . . and viewer complains about how they are talking about the traditions of other cultures.

Peak intolerance. “I don’t even want to know what people besides my own family do!”

20 Likes

A lot of white folks eat turkey around the winter holidays because you are what you eat. /s

This reminds me of when the Wichita Eagle-Beacon decided to start printing an “opinion” space for folks to leave comments that weren’t expansive enough for an actual Opinion Article. You can easily imagine what followed.

18 Likes

Only because there was just a marathon and we watched this and laughed.

9 Likes

Interestingly, people like myself have recently considered eating a few white Karens for breakfast – just to see if anyone in the world would notice or complain about their disappearance.

And… so far… nope… no one has complained.

5 Likes

I think it’s something like this:

If a white person said that white people traditionally eat X on New Year’s Day they would be fired for racist stereotyping.

This anchor said that Asian/Korean/whatever people traditionally eat dumplings on New Year’s Day so she should be fired, but she wasn’t because Asians are allowed to be racist and white people are not and it is all terribly unfair and racist against white people.

8 Likes

I think the nearest comparison would be something like, “Americans traditionally toast with champagne on New Year’s Eve”. Hard to imagine someone getting fired for that. I know you’re not trying to justify them, just saying… even using their own “logic” it still doesn’t make sense.

11 Likes

Her type of “logic” is, I believe, caused by people drinking too much Bud Lite, and inhaling too much cordite.

7 Likes

ahh, hillbillies – good thing it’s still ok to paint entire swaths of the country with THAT brush, right?

4 Likes

while my daughter-in-law is african-american and thus my grandsons are biracial, the rest of us could stand in as an illustration of white anglo-saxon protestants. regardless, i made lasagna for my family this past thanksgiving and two years ago i taught my older son and one of the grandsons the family recipe for tamales for that year’s christmas feast.

wtaf was that one thinking? or am i assuming too much with that last word?

18 Likes

Was that Italian food I had?!

7 Likes

Notice that Karen conflated Korean with Asian and then compared it with white people. Saying what Korean people sometimes do isn’t properly juxtaposed with all white people. It would be more like saying, “and a lot of Swedish people traditionally eat rice pudding on New Years.”

All this tells you is that Karen should have grown up being exposed to more diversity if she thinks a short remark about a culture not her own is intruding on the sanctity of her pasty skinned reality.

12 Likes

If you meant entire parts of my county (not country), I say yeah.

It got shut down a few years ago because of ongoing legal expenses from the event that was costing the town more money than it was bringing in for the fire department.

9 Likes

After which she phoned in to television stations broadcasting A Christmas Story because she was offended by the scene where the Parkers went to a Chinese restaurant after their Christmas dinner was ruined.

17 Likes

The closest I’ve gotten to it at all making sense to the caller is:

• She consumes a lot of media that has her freaked about what they call CRT so thinks “white people are under attack and are supposed to feel guilty for being white.”
  • So she thinks white people are “not allowed” to openly identify their race or traditions.
  • So she sees it as unfair that someone of a different ethnicity gets to do this.

It’s a hugely convoluted thought process, if that’s even what it is. And built on a shitpile of falsehoods. But that’s as close as I got before the exercise made me nauseous.

26 Likes

Yup, soup dumplings for me too!

9 Likes

Are you suggesting that she’s anti Semitic as well? (Because yes, that’s a good bet.)

15 Likes

Totally. They were being so Jewish.
:joy:
(If anyone is old enough to remember Kagan’s SCOTUS appointment hearing…)
Doh, jinx @Otherbrother

Jimmy Fallon Twins GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

8 Likes