"She was being very Asian": Listen to Karen complain about Korean-American news anchor commenting that she ate dumplings on New Year's Day, as is her tradition

Originally published at: "She was being very Asian": Listen to Karen complain about Korean-American news anchor commenting that she ate dumplings on New Year's Day, as is her tradition | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Woman who probably ate squirrel on new year’s day complains about woman eating dumplings that day.

(I lived quite a long time in a area where a few people died from eating prion infected squirrel brains. So i’m not exactly being classist seeing how i’m basically punching sideways.)

26 Likes

Sure, Karen, we’ll get right on that…

Just as soon as you learn to keep your ‘Ignorant-Ass Bigot’ to yourself.

54 Likes

I had dumplings on New Years and I’ve very white. This person is both racist and probably thinks the Tex-Mex is exotic.

32 Likes

Or that Olive Garden is good Italian food.

20 Likes

And wha’s wrong wi’ that?

12 Likes

Wow, if you listen to the segment, the part where she mentions dumplings (amidst a lit of other holiday-food traditions) literally lasts 3 or 4 seconds.

So it’s not even “Don’t shove aside MY traditions with yours,” it’s “Don’t even fucking mention yours!”

Christ, what an asshole.

45 Likes

[insert white nonsense gif here]

My glow-in-the-dark white family ate sushi for new year’s. Bet that’ll make Karen’s empty head assplode.

28 Likes

I totally forgot to have my mochi this year.

16 Likes

Seriously though; she barely even mentions them, in one breath.

The person that complained is a colossal dickhead.

My household has Thai food on Xmas as our tradition.

26 Likes

I listened to the voice mail left by the Karen. It was so cringy with a horrible analogy. Good god, woman. Someone sharing what their cultural heritage eats traditionally for New Years isn’t imposing on you at all.

15 Likes

Who knew eating black-eyed peas and cornbread was a Korean tradition? All of my neighbors are in for a rude awakening. Thank you, Karen.

12 Likes

To white supremacists, acknowledging the very existence of other cultures or nationalities is the most horrible form of oppression. Awfully strange how, despite believing they’re utterly superior to everyone else, they’re such fragile, insecure snowflakes that pretty much anything outside their tiny bubble utterly shatters their psyche and makes them claim they’re just helpless, wailing victims of the mean foreigners.

35 Likes

Chances are that this isn’t the first time this bigot has called. Back when I worked in TV news, we had a few regular callers who’d found the direct line to the assignment desk and chose to share their horrible thoughts with one of us every week or so.

24 Likes

I’m trying to understand her twisted thinking, but can’t even. “If a white person said that, they’d get fired.” Whaaaat world is she living in? If a white person said, “A lot of Korean people eat dumplings as a New Years tradition,” I don’t think there would be any blowback. :woman_shrugging:t2:

26 Likes

I’m eating dumplings right now!

If by ‘right now’ I mean about 2 hours ago.

18 Likes

That’s because they also own mirrors.

2 Likes

I had to go back and listen to that part again because maybe she’d said more than I thought she had, but somehow I’d missed it. Nope. You summed it up perfectly; 3 or 4 seconds, if that.

15 Likes

Ah, the assholeness is strong in that Karen.

21 Likes

I’m glad the reporter was able to laugh at this, but there’s a cumulative chilling effect. Next time she may hesitate a second to share this kind of cool anecdote. And if/when it happens again she’ll hesitate some more, and then so on and so on.

21 Likes