She's wearing tunics now

Originally published at: She's wearing tunics now | Boing Boing

16 Likes

I’ve found my 50s to be The Era of DGAF. As great as it is for a male like me, it must be more spectacularly liberating for a woman. This piece really captures it.

19 Likes

I’ve started HRT this year, and as a genderqueer person in their late 40s, both tunics and overalls have been a blessing to add back to my wardrobe. My 1989 first-year-of-high-school self is very pleased with my sartorial choices and options these days.

To mash up two rather silly memes, “Non-binary folks don’t owe you androgyny, but sometimes we can have some, as a little treat.”

33 Likes

Older women are completely invisible anyway, which is incredibly liberating. I can walk anywhere without fear of pretty much anything. I might be a target for muggers (rare in my city), but sexual harassment or assault is far in the past. Yes, there may be sexual assault targeting older women, but it’s rare.

Whitney Otto wrote a book about a woman who became literally invisible as she aged; Now You See Her, and how she took advantage of that.

23 Likes

Shit! Did Gary get fired from Twitter already?!

12 Likes

Chico’s is the name of a shop for middle-aged women?

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

9 Likes

Yup, tunics are where it is at. The Mormon super moms, all 10-15 years younger than me wearing their running tights and tastefully fitted athleisure tops, at Kiddo’s school may give me semi-pitying side eye, but I smile quietly, knowing their time is coming.

22 Likes

Reminds me of Amy Schumer’s “Last Fuckable Day” sketch about “older” actresses:

“long sweaters”

18 Likes

I’m still sticking with ‘band t shirt and regrettable pants’. It has served me well thus far.

16 Likes

So Cory Doctorow’s evangelism worked? That was his signature look for a long while, right?

6 Likes

I hope she spelled straitjacket correctly in her published book.

/pedant

12 Likes

I think all us women are required to wear tunics once we reach Greek goddess status, so this makes sense.

36 Likes

fixed that?

No. Ruined it.

I mean, Goddess forbid comments by women in a thread about women’s clothing be about women’s clothing, right? :roll_eyes:

23 Likes

Is she also making jewelry?

6 Likes

But but MEN are so much more important!

/S

17 Likes

:grimacing:
Did you read the thread? Because it’s about being an aging woman, and others have already pointed out how we become invisible as we age in the view of broader society. So to come in and be all, “no, no, what you really meant was…” to me, a woman, is…if not disrespectful, then definitely cringey.

22 Likes

All bodies matter!

No bodies matter!

Can we talk about my body instead though?

On second thought, let’s not.

21 Likes

Buddha is not a god.

2 Likes

Agent Trinity has entered the chat :smiling_imp::

14 Likes

I had a dream about two weeks ago and the theme was everyone wears a toga. Are toga and tunic interchangeable? Hmmm, I just don’t know.

5 Likes