She's wearing tunics now

To be candid, a toga is absolutely not interchangeable with a tunic. Togas were the Roman world’s bizarre formal wear- uncomfortable and restricting the way you could stand, and ended up only being worn by those who wanted to project a certain image and appearance. They were the absolute opposite of “not giving a fuck” wear.

17 Likes

You are right and I apologize.

14 Likes

True, but wearing togas in more contemporary settings doesn’t exactly scream “formal wear.”

2 Likes

The double dutch in the first clip was golden.

5 Likes

Agreed!
And in the 2nd one, the, “don’t just watch me while I die! So embarrassing!”
:joy:

5 Likes

I love that show!

6 Likes

How to make a toga that is authentically uncomfortable and awkward.

http://www.novaroma.org/nr/Toga_(Nova_Roma)

Toga_shape

Line lengths (1 unit = distance from neck to floor with shoes on ):

• AB & ab: 2 + 3/7 units + waistline measurement.
  • Aa & Bb: 1/2 unit
  • EF: 6/7 unit
  • CD: 1 + 5/7 units
  • cd: 2 + 5/56 units
  • cQ: 27/28 unit
  • dQ: 1 + 1/8 units
6 Likes

Cool.
I kayak.

16 Likes

Well, tunics or nothing at all - but I generally go with the former, to protect younger folks from my divine radiance.

16 Likes

Where do caftans and muumuus fit into all this?

1 Like

Over.

Not into.

18 Likes

Tell me you didn’t read the article without telling me.

15 Likes

Then there’s this.

5 Likes

Thanks to covid-times, my new DGAF daily outfit is pajama pants and oversized t-shirts. Bra optional, but it doesn’t matter and nobody notices because I’m over 55. Finally freeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

25 Likes

English is not that kind of language anymore—nobody cares except laid-off copy-editors and the organizers of “spelling bees”

Let a thousand flours blume

20 Likes

I Hate You Jb Smoove GIF

26 Likes

And, the “cult of the interestingly plain” has been referenced in other articles

The brand inspires quirky poetry

and introspection

and " confessions"

so this piece in mcsweeneys joins the others-- as parody, or as earnest reflection-- I can’t quite tell. Maybe the brand carefully cultivates this image as something that has to be justified, and then somehow is.

2 Likes

The Racked article makes an important point. One only gets full enjoyment out of a DGAF look or lifestyle if one already has a certain amount of privilege.

These women are all white, thin, and, above all, rich. The message seems to be that growing old can be glorious, as long as you fit this metric. Only then are you allowed to relax. Because that’s what we really want, isn’t it? Leisure time? The Eileen Fisher woman has had a successful career doing something creative and soul-satisfying, and now she’s ensconced in a well-appointed window seat overlooking a rocky seashore, drowsily reading Joan Didion. She isn’t frantically answering emails during her commute from job two to job three. She isn’t wondering if she’ll ever have dental insurance again, let alone retirement savings, or if the nation will survive long enough for her to reach retirement, or if the nap she took on Wednesday counts as a weekend.

13 Likes

I had no idea! Thanks for letting me know. Seems I have some fun research to do on this topic.

3 Likes

Was that deliberate? If so, chapeau.

3 Likes