Shootout in Oregon: one terrorist killed, eight arrested

A need was recognized and fulfilled is how I see it.

6 Likes

Nope. It is blocked off now.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-oregon-refuge-roadblocks-20160127-story.html

1 Like

Aw geeze should we applaud the capture of people who we donā€™t like/agree with.

Or bemoan trigger happy cops abusing their authority with impunity.

Decisions, decisionsā€¦

1 Like

Fair enough.
Some things are sadder than others.
Iā€™m right there with yaā€™.

Still sad though.

I donā€™t even dislike that dead guy, actually.
I just disagree with him.

?

How did that even happen in this case?

4 Likes

The militants remaining in the refuge are well prepared for a long siege. Snacks, sex toys, 55 gallons of lube . . .

3 Likes

Think about what happens next:

Once they clear out of the gift shop and the reporters are let in, there will be the inevitable stories about all the junk left behind by the occupiers. Including a large collection of dildos. With statistics including how many were unboxed.

Dunno whatever happened with that 55-gallon drum of lube, but it can only be seen two ways:

1. The junk left behind by the occupiers, besides dildos, included a 55-gallon drum of lube.

2. The 55-gallon drum of lube was not found. Presumably it was used up.

2 Likes

OMG, who gave assault rifles to Hay Golems?

17 Likes

Per the article:
ā€œShots were fired, but itā€™s unclear who fired first, the source said. Ryan Bundy was wounded, and Finicum died.ā€

"The occupiers also claimed Finicum had his hands in the air when he was shot. "

So it is possible the shooting was justified. It is possible it was not.

Haha - Hay Golems. OMG I am totally using that some time.

1 Like

Er, yeah. So while itā€™s already time to ā€œapplaud the capture of people who we [though maybe not you?] donā€™t like/agree with,ā€ itā€™s too soon to decide whether we should ā€œbemoan trigger happy cops abusing their authority with impunity.ā€

Got it. I thinkā€¦

5 Likes

Itā€™s a bit more than a gift shop.

If we are to believe stories such as this, the occupation disrupted quite a bit more than just the sale of trinkets to visiting birders.

4 Likes

Iā€™m imagining an epic escape plan involving a really long slipā€™nā€™slide that they lube up and roll out past the armed federal guards and then they all just slide to freedom and justice and the American WayĀ®. Maybe theyā€™ll tie together a raft made of sex toys so they donā€™t have to get their nice camo oiled up on the way out.

4 Likes

Straw men everywhere!

12 Likes

Iā€™m just enjoying the hypocrisy. Expecting consistency in peopleā€™s biases are really too much ask for and I realize that. I see it everywhere and it is the one thing I try to consciously fight when it comes to myself.

If you are wondering where my alliances lie - wonder no more. I have none in this case. I am not 100% sure what happened to spark this occupation. The government claims it was arson to cover up poaching. The others claim it was a grass burn that got out of hand. Coming from a state full of prairie, I am familiar with grass burning and how they can get out of hand. While I concede the government charges may be 100% correct, I guess it is too much for me to not have a natural distrust that they could be bending the truth or trumping up charges.

Whether the original reason was right or wrong, I do support open protest.What makes it so I canā€™t support them 100% is they came armed. If they had come in and just done a mass sit in, then I think I would behind their right to protest.

But - I also find it very interesting that because they were armed, the government initially let them alone. Had they done a sit in, how would this have ended? Probably mouths full of pepper spray and cuffs on the first workday. This seems to bolster the argument that the 2nd Amendment protects the 1st, even if I canā€™t really support its use in this case.

The most recent incident may or may not be justified. I concede the officers may indeed have acted correctly. I just find it interesting that in most cases on this site commenters are not willing to give officers any benefit of the doubt for questionable actions, and super quick to condemn (and lump everyone in the same boat) for clearly wrong actions. But for the most part, no one is doubting the cops acted correctly.

2 Likes

He previously stated that heā€™d die before allowing himself to be arrested, so the two possibilities are

A) He was a lying coward who was killed after surrendering
B) He was an honest jackass who brought death upon himself

5 Likes

Very short press conference today. Simple statements from the FBI and District Attorney (I think it was the DA). The local Sheriff was the only other speaker (went last) and was obviously very upset that things had come to violence in his community. His plea at the end to use normal channels to address grievances got a round of applause.

For months now every time he and his officers make even a routine stop, they will be on edge because it may be one of the violent nuts. This was very unfair to the local community and demonstrates how selfish the Bundy group and people like them can become. Shame on them.

13 Likes

3 Likes

Iā€™d have significant empathy for someone in scenario A - you get caught up in the moment, yelling about liberty or death, and then common sense kicks in. Itā€™s a bit silly, but I donā€™t need to heap scorn on a dude whoā€™s already dead

If itā€™s scenario B - and Iā€™m guessing it is scenario B, if only because the police knew how much scrutiny this was going to get, then. . . yeah. He was honest, and I guess he thought this was worth dying for? Because he invested a lot of himself in being a part of this thing, or because he didnā€™t put a super-high value on his own life? I donā€™t know.

The willingness to die for a cause isnā€™t the worst aspect of humanity. The fact that he chose this particular battle to give his life for seems spectacularly misguided. I guess you find an issue you think is important, and you surround yourself with other people who think itā€™s important, and suddenly itā€™s super important to you, even if itā€™s kind of penny-ante bullshit to everyone else

Basically, I guess what Iā€™m trying to get at is that I donā€™t need to shit-talk the dead

3 Likes

I ease what you did three.

1 Like