Shop worker awarded 40 sausage rolls for 40 years of service

Maybe he can use this to keep them warm. Even the same stock photo!

4 Likes

The Greggs vegan variety is peak sausage roll for me, there’s no going back.
Just don’t tell me what’s in it.

ignorance_is_bliss_matrix

7 Likes

Lucky duck!

1 Like

Sounds like the British version of the Southern US “Bless your heart.”

3 Likes

8 Likes

I mean, what were you going to do with a 1.73 turkeys?

6 Likes

I did not stray there. And yes, black pudding sausage rolls and black pudding scotch eggs are also both excellent.

Across the pond from where? :wink:
If I’d only written “in the NE” (as I very nearly did) people might well have assumed I was talking about the NE of the US - so I added the UK.

3 Likes

One time when I worked there, they had these ridiculously large frozen turkeys for some reason.
I was like, the bigger the turkey, the better the meat to not-meat ratio.
So I had one of the butchers stick one on the bandsaw for me to make two normal amounts. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, the trouble is that sausage rolls all vary according to the baker or manufacturer and what sort of ‘sausage’ they use. But what the standard, average, typical supermarket frozen sausage roll (especially ‘party’ size ones) contain tends to have less sausagemeat and more MRM slurry-like ‘meat’.

My thesis, therefore, is that there is no particular distinctive spice/herb mix - and if there is, it is probably being used to disguise the flavour of the MRM-style lowest common denominator ‘meat’

1 Like

Why are these not available all the time everywhere in the US? It’s not as though “sausage wrapped in pastry” is a particularly exotic or complicated concept, is it?

3 Likes

I still haven’t forgiven Greggs for buying Birketts in Cumbria and closing their seconds shop in Carlisle, and I doubt I ever will.

£1 for 10 sausage rolls, or 6 scotch pies, or 6 steak bakes, you get the idea. They also had cheap bread and cakes. That place probably kept me alive when I was trying to survive on jobseekers allowance.

10 Likes

It is important to note that a typical British sausage roll is NOT a sausage wrapped in pastry. It is sausagemeat wrapped in pastry. Small, pedantic, but absolutely critical difference.

2 Likes

My younger brother, bless him, used to throw away the egg in a Scotch Egg. He thought it was just there to give the sausage-meat its shape.
Personally, I think the egg is the best bit.
No joke, he was doing this into his thirties.

3 Likes

It’s the package for me. Take away the crumb, meat or egg and it’s just a thing. Put it all together, add beer and if it’s a Saturday afternoon and the football is on the radio, all’s right and good with the world.

5 Likes

Bless him?
Cast him out with all the other heretics! :wink:

2 Likes

I could absolutely do 40 sausage rolls in one sitting.

And Gregg’s is awesome. Wish we had them in the US.

2 Likes

This is what I use when I make sausage rolls. There should also be around 200 - 300 grams bread crumbs or rusk / kg meat.

9 Likes

Thanks for ruining a thing I loved.

Seriously though, I’ve had prepackaged sausage rolls a time or two in the intervening years – frozen ones you can buy at “British” stores here in the U.S. They all have a distinctive (delicious) flavor that I’ve never found in anything American. After reading this comment thread, I think I need to go on a sausage roll tasting tour of Britain and judge the differences and quality for myself. Mmm.

4 Likes

Remember to vary the sauce – tomato ketchup is okay, but brown sauce is better, mustard is useful – because, let’s face it, there can be disappointing sausage rolls.

3 Likes

If you live in a city that has a shop dedicated to foods imported from Britain, you can often find them in a refrigerated or freezer case. It may be the equivalent of buying a DiGiorno frozen pizza and comparing it to something you’d get in a village pizzeria near Naples, but you’ll get the idea. They do taste different from any American sausage I’ve ever had.

3 Likes