Shop worker awarded 40 sausage rolls for 40 years of service

Originally published at: Shop worker awarded 40 sausage rolls for 40 years of service - Boing Boing

13 Likes

Ah, the British knack for understatement.

22 Likes

He wasnt even awarded 40 sausage rolls. He gets one per shift, for the next 40 shifts. “What a pittance.”

11 Likes

I mean, if I had a choice between 40 sausage rolls now or a fresh one for forty days in a row, I’d choose the latter. Unless you’re planning a sausage fest, they’ll only go bad before you’ve had a chance to eat them all

19 Likes

I’m trying very hard not to make lame “sausage party” jokes. Really, I am.

20240821_073737

8 Likes

This is what I was thinking…how many of those 40 could I eat before diminishing marginal deliciousness.

4 Likes

Possibly none at all.

3 Likes

I’m making a good run of cutting down on sugar and other processed treats at the moment.

But the problem is, as I leave work, Greggs is right there, smelling all delicious and awesome.

Vegan sausage roll and spicy wedges, BAM.

I fool myself into thinking I’m balancing things out by walking home from the station afterwards.

14 Likes

Delicious, yes.
Sad/pathetic reward for 40 years of service, also yes.

14 Likes

But this is Guernsey, so he’ll not be paying tax on them. /s

@beschizza
You can be forgiven Gregg’s or Pret at the airport. The first time I went to the NE of the UK I saw sausage rolls that are at least twice the width and twice the height of a ‘standard’ typical sausage roil.

The effect is magnificent. Much higher filling to pastry ratio. Some ‘small’ typical sausage rolls are all pastry with a bit of MRM slurry in the middle. The things I encountered ‘up north’ had real sausage meat, and the quantity of it in relation to the pastry was much closer to perfection.

Couldn’t find a comparative image but I bet this one is that sort of size, even if its length is some hat excessive.
https://cumbriacrack.com/2021/06/03/can-you-handle-the-uks-longest-known-sausage-roll-created-in-cumbria/

1 Like

Have you tried a pork pie, or a scotch egg? There’s a whole world of meaty cholestoral filled goodness waiting to be sampled.

3 Likes

He also got a mural - sounds like an odd reward so perhaps something he requested?

3 Likes

Yep nothing like being throated by geordie sausage. The rolls are great up there too.

2 Likes

I think I will treat that comment as well-intended. (Even given the possibly missing /s tag)

Of course I f*****g have! Often.

But the difference between bakers’ sausage rolls in the south vs the north in the UK is dramatic.

2 Likes

Not sure how it could have been ill intended? I had made the assumption you were across the pond given your comment about the NE of the UK, but looking at your profile I see not. But yes I had no ill intent. And even so - I know many brits that won’t touch a pork pie (aspic jelly) and have never sampled a scotch egg. I have no idea how far, wide and frequently you travel geographically or gastronmically. Have you strayed into Black Pudding territory? Black pudding Sausage rolls are next level.

You mean buns, I wish it could be baps then you could work it into Viz-style double-entendres. Fnar!

1 Like

I worked for a grocery chain in Northern CA for most of the 80’s and all of the 90’s.
Right before the holidays, we all would get a gift cert (the amount never changed in all that time) good for one of the following:
One frozen turkey
10% off one grocery tab (not to exceed 10 dollars)
I don’t like to be cynical (ok, maybe I do) but I considered that to be rather… meager.

3 Likes

Sausage rolls are so dang delicious. I haven’t been to old Blighty in 30 years, and I still think about those things. Whatever that distinctive spice/herb mix used in them is doesn’t seem to exist in the U.S.

2 Likes

I make them at home with frozen puff pasty and a package of sausages. Delicious, but then I have 6 or 8 beautiful sausage rolls in my house. Wife and kids eat one each, and they are gone within a couple of hours.

2 Likes

I can get proper bangers frozen, and they work well wrapped in premade pastry.

2 Likes