Should the Vulcan greeting replace the handshake in the coronavirus era?

Interns are awesome! Today’s Red Shirts!

10 Likes

10 Likes

I get a trashcan icon (separate from the ‘Pencil/Edit’ icon) with my posts when i click on the “…”. I don’t know if others do as well.

2 Likes

Now I see it; thanks!

1 Like

I’m all in.

Woah! I just assumed I could do it fine with either hand: but when I tried, I discovered that, though I can (sort of) do it with my right hand, it’s way harder than with my left. I have to basically force my ring finger and pinkie together, with much trembling, and even then I can’t get all four fingers in a plane: the hand kind of curves. Left hand, no problem: Spock style, every time.

Anyone have any idea why would that be?

1 Like

You sure? I couldn’t in my youth at first, but eventually trained myself to.

7 Likes

And now they’re saying DON’T, because it puts people too close to each other.

10 Likes

The priestly blessing certainly isn’t a secret, but there IS a tradition of the priest(s) and the congregation not looking at each other while it’s being done. So Nimoy may very well have felt that he was “peeking” at something secret when he was a kid. And whoever wrote up the description probably embellished that part a bit.

I also wonder about the “shin” for “shekhina” part. I would have thought the “shin” stood for Shaddai (one of God’s names) rather than shekhina (the mystical presence of God), although that may depend on how big a role mysticism plays in the tradition of the “expert” explaining the symbolism (i.e., if you’re hassidic, it’s probably the skekhina).

2 Likes

Oddness abounds apparently;

I also ‘trained’ myself to do the Vulcan greeting when I was a kid, just to see if I could.

It didn’t come naturally to me, and as I stated above it appears to be more difficult to do with one hand than the other. (Trying it out again with my right hand just now, it turns out I can do it, but it takes quite a bit of extra effort.)

*Edited for spelling.

7 Likes

Same here, dominant hand easy as anything but the left takes more thought and effort.
Weird.

6 Likes

I do the Vulcan salute equally well with both hands, but it’s true my left hand’s fingers are a lot more flexible and versatile, while conversely things involving wrist movement I more easily do with my right hand. There’s a joke in that somewhere.

10 Likes

I regretably can´t do the Vulcan salute at all. So I´ll pass.

This seems like a fun idea, at least until it becomes an an angrily-enforced cultural shibboleth by [checks watch] Thursday afternoon, and people start accusing each other of attempted murder for trying to shake hands.

2 Likes

Totally fine with this, but

HOW I’M SPOSTA VULCAN MIND-MELD FOLKS, HMM???

6 Likes

I picked my nose while reading this.

Bogeys fell.

4 Likes

I find it easier with my non-dominant hand. Bodies are strange.

4 Likes

Namaste FTW :grin::pray:

2 Likes

Me too. But then I’m right handed and used to play the guitar in my youth so left handed motor control was much improved (once upon a time) and persists, if only to do this Vulcan thing.

1 Like

I say we embrace the virus and switch to the head butt for casual greetings.

This greeting brought to you in part by Dodge Ram…

4 Likes