Should the Vulcan greeting replace the handshake in the coronavirus era?

My concern about the elbow bump is, ah… I just sneezed in my elbow pit and now I present the elbow outside for you to touch with your sneezy elbow.

2 Likes

speaking of angrily enforced cultural shibboleths what do people think of changing it from live long and prosper to
live long and avoid covid-19
or
avoid covid-19 and prosper?

2 Likes

I can’t do it either unless I use glue or tape. Otherwise this is a nice idea.

Far more likely is a denialist grabbing the hand of a rational person trying to avoid them. “What are you so scared about? It’s fake news!”

2 Likes

Personally I’m a fan of the feet kick handshake. Kinda makes me think I’m going to go meet Claus at his meathaus.

I trained myself to lift just one eyebrow, too. It’s also much easier to do on my right than on my left. Fascinating… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

12 Likes

Great, the idiots are going to take us with them.
:woman_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

Indeed. I have noticed the same. When I try to lift only the left eyebrow, I just look surprised. :astonished:

4 Likes

I’m a misanthrope, so I suppose it really doesn’t matter, but a more gregarious version of me would find it difficult to separate his fingers that way… Where the ring finger goes, so goes the middle finger.

We’ve decided to adopt the Rimmer Salute from Red Dwarf instead. Advantages include varying levels of formality/silliness depending upon situation.

Salute

6 Likes

Same here as well.

Sounds like the human body isn’t nearly as ‘symmetrical’ as we’re led to believe, at least not in function…

6 Likes

As long as people don’t invent a new handshake where you interlock vulcan-greeting hands like a set of cardboard cut-outs, sure.

3 Likes

If you use both hands each you can…

Never mind :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Clearly, you’re only half Vulcan, just like Spock.

1 Like

the Biracial Blues; I know them well.

7 Likes

Years ago I taught English in Chain for a bit while studying Chinese. Sometimes as I was teaching students English pronunciation they would teach me the corresponding Chinese words. One young lady, though, told me to stop wasting my time because a foreigner’s mouth and throat was physically incapable of forming the sounds.

1 Like

3 Likes

Either that - or this:

6 Likes

Yep.

7 Likes

source
this greeting only needs one finger.

7 Likes