Show full Post largely useless

What I think it really needs is that hand-coded solution for this website: include everything in the featuredimage div and include everything in the story div that’s not part of a sub-div.

Ok, so what would the value be of having that expand, if it has so little content? Perhaps readability is making the correct call? If the only thing in the post is a video…

The problem is that videos are still broken so as far as the BBS knows that little content is the only content. And even if the video thing ever gets fixed sometimes those few words contain the source or attribution of the thing being posted.

Edit: Perhaps instead of hand-coding rules for each website, the readability algorithm could be changed so that if pressing Show Full Post returns nothing then a slightly different or relaxed set of rules could be used.

4 Likes

That’s a good idea! I like it. When nothing comes back, fall back on a different strategy. For those “I just posted a video and 6 words” posts.

4 Likes

“For the second time!”

2 Likes

Here’s a new problem I’ve never run across before. Clicking on Show Full Post on

somehow strips the link out of the first sentence of the post, leaving the post as a frustrating & tantalizing description of what the reader could find if indeed they themselves could experience what Rob was talking about.

Er, clicking “Show Full Post” on that one :arrow_double_up: seems fine to me? Am I missing something?

You missed that time on Monday morning that it didn’t work. Maybe @beschizza edited the post to fix it, or maybe it was a temporary glitch with Discourse, but at the time I wrote that there was no link in the Show Full Post version of the post while there was a link on the actual BoingBoing post.

1 Like

Oh suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure fiddingfrog, suuuure there was a problem. :wink:

2 Likes

Going back to this readability problem…

This conversation:

only shows “GET THE BOING BOING NEWSLETTER” when you click on Show Full Post.

But the article:

clearly contains more (2 images, 16 plaintext words, 6 linked words). In fact this is the longest article I’ve seen readability fail on.

1 Like

So, do you get the newsletter?

#OF COURSE NOT

5 Likes
5 Likes

New record:

An embedded image and 54 plaintext words becomes “GET THE BOING BOING NEWSLETTER”.

3 Likes

been noticing this a lot, lately, too.

ETAT: w/r/t Israel B below, yes, I’m FF on OSX

1 Like

Problem comes and goes with any version of Safari (OSX/IOS) or Firefox on OSX.

1 Like

Also with mobile browsers. I do a lot of my surfing on my Samsung Galaxy s4 stock browser (TunyBrowser?) and find the “newsletter” message more than I’d like.

1 Like

Doesn’t work on mine either:

5 Likes

I thought it was an on-purpose. It seems consistent with across posts and, unlike most of my Chrome issues (which are plenty :angry: and not Discourse specific) behaves the same whether my Chrome instance is fresh or stale.

Though this doesn’t feel like a browser or platform-specific issue. I experience it extensively on Chrome on Mac OS X and, as often as I use my phone to Discourse, Chrome on Android (Lollipop, Moto X gen 2). I don’t BBS often enough from any of my Windows PCs to recall but I can test Saturday on my desktop if desired.

2 Likes

This is an edge case, but also really kind of awesome.

Points to a pre-discourse post on BoingBoing. The content of that post is really short, just twenty words which we know Discourse has trouble with, so it’s expected that Show Full Post won’t actually show that post. What’s surprising, however, is the nearly 700-word reply that Discourse does display as the Full Post.

So I dug a bit and it looks like the post page still has the old pre-Discourse comments buried in the HTML, but not displayed. What Discourse shows as the Full Post here isn’t the first comment, nor the first lengthy comment, but a comment nearly 100 comments deep into the thread

1 Like

Fascinating. My guess is that comments are in the html, I just hid them with CSS to avoid actually fixing a problem with pre-discourse comments. And the scraping library discourse uses can see … something… insteresting.

Rob

2 Likes