"Shut the fuck up" stickers

Always good advice.

3 Likes

People who want ethnic cleansing and genocide barely deserve even that much time and effort spent on them. There is no worthwhile debate to be had with them.

15 Likes

Good timing by the sticker entrepreneurs. Tail end of the Black Days in the Pacific Northwest, when everyone is grumpy from lack of Vit D. Try this in July and everyone’s too mellow for it.

1 Like

I agree with covering up/removing extremist, fascist bullshit. When I had our mailbox (one of those with like 20 boxes in one box) defaced with slurs, I was the first one with a paint remover to take it down.

But there is a plethora of other ideas that are controversial or some people disagree with or are vulgar that don’t include fascists and Nazis. My point is, this sort of thing can be used by these same defacers to deface what they disagree with, but “you” agree with. It’s “Shut the fuck up” stickers all the way down.

1 Like

You do know that already happens, don’t you? Left wing stickers covered by right wing stickers covered by left wing stickers covered by…

8 Likes

Literally anything like this (a tactic, etc) can be misused… but we have them anyway and use them because they are effective. If anything you can measure their success by how they are appropriated - see things like civil rights language being appropriated by white supremacists - they adopted that language of rights, because it works. I don’t think the possibility of misuse is a good argument for not using a tactic, frankly.

11 Likes

Wait, are you suggesting I have a conversation with a lamp post?

2 Likes

Right - but that is the war of ideas. They are covering up each others’ messages and spreading their own. It’s like I said, a street level debate of sorts. Street tagging is like that too. I used to work in an area where there was a stretch commonly tagged and I’d notice stuff getting covered and re-covered, and even began to recognize tags going back and forth.

“Shut the fuck up” I guess does the job of covering up bullshit, but it also seems, I dunno the right words… low brow and banal?

I’m the only one talking to inanimate objects? Shit, I better check my dosage…

5 Likes

“Psst. Over here. Your dosage is fine. Might even want to ramp it up a little.”

“Want to continue our conversation about licking aluminum?”

12 Likes

15 Likes

Wait till you find out its the same company making both stickers!

9 Likes

And then you can use them as hand- and footholds to climb the pole toward the light. Perfection!

I was thinking the same thing. But I also think covering them with something less profane might be more effective. I’m with @Mister44 . I’d get awful tired of seeing “Shut the fuck up” everywhere, no matter what it’s covering.

For this “be the light” campaign, something like a picture of Batman, and “I AM the Darkness” would be more amusing IMO.

6 Likes

Try “Hello lamppost, watcha knowin’? I came to watch your flowers growing.” as an opening line, and you’ll be surprised what happens next.

8 Likes

Don’t think I’m currently groovy enough, unfortunately.

7 Likes

Ever since the watermelon?

1 Like

Example of said sticker, Seattle Center, Aug 2018

10 Likes

*A little coordination of effort and they could fly!

*Which scares the bejeebers out of TPB!

Much cheaper (although - ahem! - not as permanent):

AC_UL320

3 Likes
3 Likes

Russians do everything bigger.

1 Like