"Shut the fuck up" stickers

After 30 seconds of armchair research, it seems like the Be The Light stickers are for a campaign for mental health awareness and suicide prevention, and aren’t religious or hippie in origin. Just people trying to feel better and make others feel better.

Waiter, this planet sucks, I’d like a new one please.

1 Like

Then it’s a bad campaign.

When it comes to issues like that, a) clarity is important and b) mindless platitudes are not helpful.

Without anything to immediately connect it to the campaign, people are not going to make that leap. And there are so many sticker campaigns in your average city – most of them for conspiracy theory type nonsense that are horrible for one’s mental health – that few people are going to look it up.

And frankly, if I was having a Bad Day (to give you context, a good day is one where I can occasionally forget I have a mental illness, lest anyone think that I am minimising here) some random person telling me to “Be the Light” is going to do the opposite of help. Same with them trying to “be [my] light.”

Mystery campaigns rarely work for anything. A mystery campaign of weird, woo-like messages is terrible for getting the word out about mental health. Making mental illness a woo-like mystery is how people stay fucked up, not how they get help.

7 Likes

Someone with a mental illness will respond better to seeing “shut the fuck up” everywhere?

Victims of domestic abuse must love it too.

I am not saying these are good, I am saying the other is bad. It’s poorly executed for what it purports to be.

And did you miss the part where I am speaking from experience?

Calling one thing bad does not make another good. Multiple things can be shitty at the same time.

6 Likes

Amazing! Now anybody can pay to be an anonymous, discontented 10 year old.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.