Signal your opposition to racism with a simple safety pin

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/11/signal-your-opposition-to-raci.html

15 Likes

Got mine on!

11 Likes

I read about this yesterday.

I have a safety pin on my hoodie today, and will be on the lookout for others wearing one.

15 Likes

I should probably also brush up on the Safety Dance just in case an occasion arises where it’s necessary to communicate via body language.

26 Likes
8 Likes

It’s a nice idea but it is any more effective than wearing a ribbon to fight cancer or putting a magnet on your car to support the troops? Sometimes I wonder if these things are simply to allow people to feel good about themselves. It seems that listening and communicating would be a better idea.

15 Likes

@MBrody - But it’s not just about signalling that you support a cause with an empty gesture. This is to actually create a safe space, for being around and engaging in dialogue.

25 Likes

Sometimes just knowing that you’re not alone in the struggle helps.

Unlike a war overseas, or a crippling disease; this is a battle that’s gonna be fought right here on our own home turf, one day at a time, one act of solidarity at a time.

36 Likes

See also the Gordon Korman YA novel, Don’t Care High. In it, the safety pin becomes the symbol of the emergence from apathy of the students of a high school.

9 Likes

How are racists babies going to keep their diapers on?

12 Likes

They wear Pull-Ups.

8 Likes

I would say pointy pin tr*?@#mps pointy hat but its now an offensive word.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth…

When I was my more punker self and regularly wore safety pins, a woman who worked a family owned bagel place told me that safety pins were actually used by some Jews as wards against the evil eye. Most common was for a mother to put it on a bride’s bra as to deflect ill-intent away on her wedding day.

I have never heard anyone but her and some of the people around her corroborate this safety-pin-as-ward story but I like it and it seems relevant to this.

14 Likes

Wow this is going to be huge and not just a stupid meaningless guesture!

1 Like

I just dug out a box full of them. Will start handing them out!

8 Likes

I’d say they’re already quite experienced at sh*tting all over everything.

12 Likes

I’m wearing a pin. Soon, people wearing safety pins will be subject to the same abuse as PoC and LGBTQ folk. I’ll continue to wear it, and take my lumps if I have to, but I’m not sitting this one out. “We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.” - Benjamin Franklin

16 Likes

Much like expressing your opinion in a little corner of the web, yet here you are!

30 Likes

One of my close friends used to date a woman from Georgia (the country not the state), she used to always have a safety pin attached to her shirt. I asked her why once and she said it was to protect against the evil eye.

6 Likes

Just like driving trollies a website and being yet another energy leech somehow isn’t a meaningless waste of time and energy.

(Unless, of course, it’s your occupation.)

Welcome to Boing Boing, comrade.

32 Likes