Signal your opposition to racism with a simple safety pin

Well, that’s some corroboration!

Was she Jewish by any chance?

2 Likes

I believe this was sign of resistance to the German occupation of Holland during the Second World War.

9 Likes

Nazi-occupied Norway. It was begun by university students in Oslo who wore paperclips.

11 Likes

It’s also PUNK AS FUCK.

24 Likes

17 Likes

I think the idea must have caught on and spread.

Wearing safety pins has a prominent demonstration in “One of our Aircraft is Missing.”

7 Likes

I’m wondering how long it will take them, in my office environment, to have me remove it as it will be considered political speech? Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

5 Likes

17 Likes

send one my way will ya? Thanks you’re a pal!

5 Likes

Not long. They’ll try. The HR Culture always does. Just tell them that it signals your opposition to bigotry.* Which is a non-partisan sentiment, right? Right? **

[* which happens to be true]

[** wrong, but they’re not going to admit that]

8 Likes

I like the idea, but I fear the eventual commoditization.

Not just any Safety pin will do, let’s make them BIGGER. With special colors to mean special things.

10 Likes

That was my ready-in-minute Halloween costume… pin through cheek; full-can-of-aquanet crappy liberty spikes; clipped-off-notebook-spiral-nose-ring; ratty clothes…

8 Likes

Some Latinas I used to work with talked about a pregnant woman wearing a pin somewhere on her clothes to make the baby grow well. I wish I could remember how that was described. I think it might have been a straight pin to make the baby grow straight.* But that might have been a safety pin, too.

*Straight for healthy, not straight in sexual orientation.

6 Likes

This is late-stage capitalist America, so that’s exactly what will happen. It’s a means of taming something unruly, defanging it, and bending it to shareholder value (hallowed be Its name). That shouldn’t stop us, though.

14 Likes

This safety pin idea was invented by an american who lives in london. It went viral on social media. I saw like two ‘in the wild’. For all of your fantasies of standing up to safety pin oppression or whatever upthread, the main thing about them is that they’re kind of hard to see. You can feel bold pinning an invisible statement to your shirt, knowing that in the unlikely event somebody even notices it and then decides to take offence, that you’ll have complete plausible deniability! Seriously, this is much less valuable than wearing a ribbon or button, so if you want to wear your tolerance on your sleeve (or lapel, or whatever) pick something that’s actually visible!

6 Likes

Don’t forget to take your giant safety pins off before heading to the airport…

6 Likes

I prefer this safety pin.

22 Likes

No, eastern Orthodox I believe.

2 Likes

Using a safety pin as a symbol of being someone who can be trusted, who is safe, predates Brexit by decades.
It was possibly first used by the Dutch during the Nazi occupation, as shown in a film called “One of our aircraft is missing” (1942).
There is no real evidence of this that I could find, but even if it was just a movie gimmick, it still predates Brexit.

Sorry, I’m a history addict, I can’t help myself.

13 Likes

My initial reaction to this was simply ‘man those punks back in high school were anti-racism as FUCK’

5 Likes