Signal your opposition to racism with a simple safety pin

“This is meant to be more than a symbolic gesture”

O RLY

DO YOU EXPECT TO PIN THINGS TO OTHER THINGS

1 Like

I’m going to start wearing one, if even one person notices and feels a shred of hope and solidarity then it is worth it. i’d like to think it means a safe place from all bigotry, not just racism. also, i’m all for an even more visible symbol, because it is fucking time that racism, sexism, gender and sexual discrimination, and all forms of ignorant bullying and bigotry were stood up to loudly and clearly as being completely unacceptable.

21 Likes

wouldn’t it be fabulous if obama was wearing one during his next meeting with trump?

29 Likes

Definitely seems to fall into the “can’t hurt, might help” category at least.

14 Likes

I was thinking it needs to be something more obvious, like arm bands, then i thought, oh god not arm bands those never end well.

15 Likes

Ok, so maybe it’s more of general folk-belief rather than something Judaism-specific. That would make a bit more sense for my brain.

1 Like

I’m adding one to the lanyard on which I wear my work badge. Guarantees I won’t forget to put it on each morning!

I’d love to think it would piss off a large majority of my co-workers, but I don’t think they’re tuned-in enough to recognize it. That is, unless Faux News starts doing pieces on it, in which case I’m pretty much screwed.

8 Likes

Or this one:

14 Likes

Until this very moment, I had not realised that I had a super power. But now I realise that I do, and that I always have.

For I, puny mortal, have the amazing power to communicate and wear a pin at the same time! Yes, I know that it sounds unbelievable, but it is true; for me, it is not an exclusive proposition where I must choose only one action to take, and abstain from all others, and thereby only a single “best” option may ever be taken. Behold my superhuman multitasking abilities and stand amazed!

Now I just need to pick out a proper superhero name. I’m kind of leaning toward “The False Dilemma”. Although maybe that sounds more supervillainous. I shall retire to the Dilemma-cave to ponder this conundrum of nomenclature.

Edit: Although now that I’m thinking about it, I’m unsure whether I should have a Dilemma-Cave, or a Dilemma-Car, or a Dilemma-Rang. A Dilemma-Cave would obviously be useful for storing my various crime-fighting apparati, and a Dilemma-Car would help me travel to supervillainous disturbances more quickly, and a Dilemma-Rang would be useful to throw at supervillains to knock them out (and then automatically return to my hand, so I don’t have to walk all the way over there to pick it up again, thus saving valuable calories!). But which one would be the best choice??

17 Likes

I’ve certainly left some friends behind.

5 Likes

I was, and I was.

4 Likes

I tend to appreciate the gesture but in the greater scheme, these allow us the ability to believe we are doing something personally without contributing to the greater, like internet petitions.

It is good to know that persons are of the right mindset, but wonder how much it suppresses any greater resistance to action.

Not everyone who wears a safety pin to demonstrate solidarity with and safe refuge for the harassed will be an active resister, but then most people won’t be active resisters anyway. It’s a small, easy starting point to more substantive deeds for those already so inclined or for those who are discovering that tendency. By the time such symbols are banned or co-opted, what active resisters there are will have already become organised and facts on the ground.

In the meantime, it’s never too early for liberals and progressives to signal visibly that we do not support a President who panders to bigots and excuses thuggery.

9 Likes

After the streams of meaningless “voted my consciousness” and “awareness” slactivism this past election I’m just twitchy and cranky :confused:

5 Likes

And the chorus rings out in empathy “So say we all!”

(edited for word choice)

8 Likes

If that happens, use it to hold on a pink cancer support ribbon. Or a ribbon of support for any other cause you support.

1 Like

9 Likes

When I first lived on my own years ago, I pinned a red triangle to my jacket. I didn’t realize that the pin meant something also!

4 Likes

http://kwikcrafts.com/crafts/product/P112.html

I think I still have some of these around, though the kids are all out of diapers now:

8 Likes

I’d be a little worried about coming off as condescending: “Fear not, hapless minorities—I am here to defend you!” On the other hand, I think that we badly need a widespread symbol of uncompromising resistance to the cruelty and barbarism that Donald Trump represents. I’m tired of being stabbed in the eye by lawn signs and bumper stickers that constantly make me feel like the last remaining human in a horde of Nazi zombies. I don’t just want to signal solidarity with marginalized groups — I want to reassure everyone who feels this way that decency hasn’t fled.

6 Likes