Signal your opposition to racism with a simple safety pin

That’s probably a much better option, since the alt-right are already co-opting the pin to lure folks in…

8 Likes

I’m a “hapless minority,” twice over.

I’m wearing the pin.

10 Likes

This is what I’m afraid of.

Same, although I don’t really look the part.

Even if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t be white knighting. I wouldn’t have to be personally affected by the coming shitstorm to understand how fucked up all of it is.

3 Likes

I just went to the drug store and got a box. The cashier said they’ve been selling pretty steadily today.

4 Likes

My kid in college informs me that among her peers, the safety pin is not considered helpful at all. They seem to think that it’s about white people feeling guilty and saying “don’t blame me, I didn’t vote for him”. To be fair, we are talking about young adults who don’t know very much yet about history, but it was interesting to learn that apparently no student of color she knows (at a number of schools around the country) has anything positive to say about the idea.

11 Likes

College kids aren’t the most helpful in situations such as this, in my experience.

They’re all passion and no recognition of perseverance or longevity; if it doesn’t happen instantly, their attention begins to wane quickly.

Again, I’m not White nor “feeling guilty”; I’m another endangered minority signifying to my LGBTQ brothers and sisters, my Muslim ones, my Latin@ ones, to anyone who is also potentially in danger that I am their ally, and I wont stand idly by if someone tries to come for them.

I hope anyone I see wearing the pin will do the same for me.

Please tell your daughter that.

Oh, and obligs:

13 Likes

I did try to tell her. She’s not white either, so it’s not like she checked with her ‘one black friend’ to come to this conclusion. In fact, what prompted her to talk about it tonight was yet another tweet from yet another friend complaining about it, so apparently it is something that is being talked about amongst themselves.

But I totally agree with you: they’re too young to understand the historical significance, and the actual need for people to see that there are others on their side.

10 Likes

Let them be scornful; that’s understandable, but it does not discourage me, especially if it catches on and is actually acted upon.

11 Likes

They should have used the other side of the pin. Probably ripped big holes in the logo forcing the hinge through it.

1 Like

Something like this, perhaps?

5 Likes

I’m not the graphic designer behind that image, fellow pedant sir.

1 Like

7 Likes

I used to keep a safety pin in my ear. Maybe I should go back to doing that? I either need to get my ears re-pierced or just shove them through here at home… We all know which is the punk-ier way to do it.

14 Likes

Also, @falcon2001, in some cases that was absolutely true…

10 Likes

6 Likes

Breitbart already started. They say it’s the symbol of children still in their diapers, and deliberately avoid actually giving the history of the symbol. Given the trends Fox News will be copying the sentiment soon.

6 Likes

Mine is just slightly warped. Just like me.

8 Likes

Oh those 80’s needle, potatoe, and 4 shots of vodka piercings. If it was good enough for the Reagan / Bush years …

10 Likes

Who uses 4 shots of vodka? Just ice the ear down!

8 Likes