Sinead O'Connor has died at age 56: RIP

Originally published at: Sinead O'Connor has died at age 56: RIP | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Rest in Peace.

18 Likes

Currently listening to this concert from 2014…

What a powerhouse of a singer and what a magnificent songwriter… History has also vindicated her.

RIP, Sinead… you’ve brought so many of us so much joy and pleasure. You will be missed, desperately. We need far more people like you making art and culture in this stupid world.

32 Likes

When her son died she said she wouldnt be fat behind. I saw her in the Lion and the Cobra tour. She was a fantastic singer who wasnt afraid to speak truth to power.

This is an excellent interview with her done just before her son passed.

10 Likes

Also this performance. Incredible.

9 Likes

that interview is also available at archive.org

13 Likes
13 Likes

Reminder that Sinead was far more than just a one-hit wonder who covered a Prince song (though it’s an amazing cover)… She did amazing covers, some traditional songs, but she was a powerful song-writer in her own right…

And this hits very differently now…

31 Likes

Indeed. I think of her other songs more often than NCtY. What a loss for her family and the whole world. RIP.

18 Likes

Omg…

No words. Just…no words.

:cry:

13 Likes

I wish that she was able to feel as good as the rest of us did when we heard her music. She died far too young but I’m glad she’s finally at peace.

11 Likes

And no discussion of her life would be complete, until we acknowledge that she’s been vindicated about the SNL incident… we know what awful crimes JPII was covering up.

You were right, Sinead. We’re sorry.

29 Likes

It’s not just the power of her voice that I loved. She’s always been one of the most deeply emotional singers, always wearing her pain and rage just below the skin and letting it burst forth with those words she chose, whether her own or those of another writer. She brings me to tears.

I’m so saddened today. This one really hurts. @Mindysan33 is posting all the great songs, so go back to her post and listen to each one. So much goodness there. The Lion and the Cobra remains my favorite of her albums, but that’s like saying I prefer one ice cream over another.

16 Likes

I could list many great obscure live shows found on YouTube- go searching and you will be rewarded.

If you haven’t caught it - her documentary is very much worth watching:

11 Likes

Troy still gives me shivers when I listen to it.

12 Likes

Yikes, that is way too young. Definitely a powerhouse vocalist. RIP

8 Likes

This is desperately sad. Too young. Vale, Sinead.

7 Likes

:cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

9 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes