Sinead O'Connor has died at age 56: RIP

I heard this in the record store when it came out and was blown away and immediately bought the cassette (!!) -and everything else after.

Thank you Sinead.

11 Likes

I snuck into a music festival she played in a tiny Swiss town, back when I was in college. I never cared much for her before that performance and walked out the gates a fan. She was an amazing stage presence.

10 Likes

Hers should be our watchwords about any malign authority that tries to divide us: fight the real enemy.

14 Likes

I saw it live that night, and remembered it being so uncomfortable at the end when noone applauded, and her nervously blowing out the candles. In all the rebroadcasts since the performance has been replaced with the dress rehearsal performance where she doesn’t tear up a photo of the pope. Never thought I’d see the original again, glad that someone has preserved it.

10 Likes

Happier times. :hugs:

5 Likes

5 Likes

And the reaction in the days afterwards, too… It was intense. And of course, she was RIGHT, we all know now… he was covering up monstrous crimes in his role as the Holy Father…

14 Likes

I alienated all my Catholic “friends” defending her (ok, and ruthlessly mocking the Pope) in the years after that.

8 Likes

About 10:30 mins into the interview, they start talking about aging… :sob:

FYI - it’s only half the interview, I did not see the second half… still worth a listen.

5 Likes

28 Likes

She never received an apology. SNL never invited her back, not even to sit in the audience of an anniversary special even though what she did was so iconic and proved that anything could happen on live television. She was never properly vindicated. But she defined her career by her own terms (even though we know there was a toll), so she’s both right and a badass.

9 Likes

The truth has vindicated her, even if men in power refuse to acknowledge that. We all know how correct she was about the crimes being covered up. I’m not sure we should care if people in power acknowledge it or not. She really didn’t care if she got invited back or got an apology… so…

14 Likes

FUCK. That is heartbreaking. She did so many brilliant collaborations w/Peter Gabriel, Massive Attack and countless others. Time to spin Throw Down Your Arms, and loudly.

5 Likes

12 Likes

An excellent thread on some of the initial fall out over the pope ripping (and how Kris Kristofferson backed her up beautifully.)

5 Likes

in '88 heard some snippets of Lion and Cobra someone played in a car I was riding around in, when I got home I immediately went out and bought it. What a force of nature.

7 Likes

From the President of Ireland Michael Higgins…

12 Likes

downloadfile

10 Likes

Thank you for everything, Sinead.
We will miss you.

13 Likes

I bought the album because of the duet she did with Matt Johnson:

One of my absolute favorite Massive Attack songs, she sang:

She is in the mural in Paisley Park, Prince’s home and recording studio. When we visited in February, never in a million years did I think Sínead O’ Conner would leave us just six months later. She was an amazing talent and an amazing human. She is missed. :sob:

12 Likes