But I really don’t think so
You asked for the truth and I
Told you

Through their own words
They will be exposed

16 Likes

This mural is on a side road in Temple Bar in Dublin, beside the Hard Rock Café

18 Likes

Threads no longer show up if you’re not logged in. Here’s the ThreadReader option:

11 Likes

she lacked the determination needed to keep a top-flight pop career aloft

Well, that’s some bullshit, isn’t it? Especially since several lines down they quote her as saying:

“I didn’t want to be a pop star, I wanted to be a protest singer,” she said.

Unfucking-believable…

Nothing Compares 2 U made her one of the highest-profile singers of the early 90s, but she was constitutionally unable to compromise her values.

And what was bad, why, exactly? :thinking:

11 Likes

oh thank you. Forgot phony stark changed that

6 Likes

Yep, still there.

10 Likes

Oh yeah, I walk by it all the time. There’s loads of really cool art around there, an artist collective put up all these pieces about Irish media and culture - you can see their space if you go down to the other end of the road on street view.

6 Likes

Love it. Stealing it.

5 Likes

It was Joe Pesci who – when hosting the show a week later – said he wanted to give her a slap

… too bad we never got to see Sinéad O’Connor kick Joe Pesci’s ass :face_with_head_bandage:

9 Likes

Gutted.

Rest in power, rest in peace, Shuhada’ Sadaqat, Magda Davitt, Sinéad Marie Bernadette O’Connor.
Power and tenderness, bright spark and lightning in a bottle scarcely able to be contained, bearing open wounds, many scars and yet fighting for creative control and ultimately control of legacy and authorship of her own life, on her terms, not to please anyone, placate anyone, but to tell the truth over and over and over, welcome or not. Vulnerable. Ferocious. O the energy all this must have taken to do all this.

What strength.

It was all to hear in that singular voice.

Read by the author.

Thanks for coming.
Thanks for all that amazing art.
It was such hard work: life.
Rest now, having left behind the pain.

My thoughts are with her friends and family.
A bright light has fallen out of the night sky.

13 Likes

On a quiet street where old ghosts meet
I see her walking now
Away from me so hurriedly
My reason must allow
That I had wooed not as I should,
A creature made of clay
When the angel woos the clay
He’ll lose his wings at the dawn of day

All healing to your soul, and to all who truly love you.

5 Likes

Don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, but she and her daughter Roisin sing beautiful backing vocals on this wonderful John Grant song

Edit: actually I only think Roisin only sang on some live performances with her mother and Grant, not the recording/release.

7 Likes
7 Likes

16 Likes

I’m reading her 2021 autobiography Rememberings right now. Sad parts but also literally laugh out loud moments.

6 Likes

:rage:

4 Likes

That is why I consider I myself the defender of the mentally ill. I myself am not in fact mentally ill.

Any woman who might inspire others to be themselves at any cost and to believe that there is a God despite religion, who can be called upon to immediately intervene, when people recognise that religion has them talking to the wall, has to be ‘crazied’. It’s been that way from creation.

I’m honoured to be one in an ancient historic line. Of female spiritual soldiers. Soldiers, not ladies, so don’t gimme any of the “If you’re not a fucking saint and perfect you can’t be a spiritual soldier” shit. Google Jesus mashing up the fucking temple.

I’m willing to fight on behalf of those who are not able to defend themselves, using all I have learned from being treated as the mentally ill are treated. My relentlessness in seeking human rights laws be APPLIED to the mentally is not going to cease. The mentally ill are amongst the most extremely vulnerable of this earth.

When can crazy stop being a term of abuse?

This piece [by Sinead O’Connor] was first published on CounterPunch in October 2013.

10 Likes
8 Likes

:sob:

9 Likes
9 Likes