Singer-songwriter Pink offers to pay fines for women's beach handball team

15 Likes

I guess when it’s your show, you think you can call all the shots:

8 Likes

I’m going to take you up on that beer the next time I’m in YV, probably November or December 2022.

1 Like

Paying the fine would legitimize the idea that the team did something wrong. Instead, the entire world should be protesting the fine and the ridiculous uniform rule, and pressuring the rules committee to rewrite the rules to eliminate sexism.

Loads of people have offered to pay the fine. But it’s an important principle to both the association and the players that the association’s initial promise to pay whatever fines were given is followed through.
Most of the world’s reaction happened after the fact (understandably) but it’s also important to recognise the calm and rational dialogue about the shared responsibility that took place before the players jointly decided to stand up against the rules.

I think the point of the gesture is also to get it into the news cycle a little longer. By making this offer, celebrity gossip news also gets involved, more light is shone onto something that is getting uncomfortable for the people in charge and that they hoped would just go away.

5 Likes

I agree that when people break rules to protest they should walk into that clear eyed about the fact that they are breaking rules and there will be consequences.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t take up offers to pay the fines, though. Being publicly punished for doing a thing that most people don’t think you should be punished for creates publicity and gets people on your side. If that works and people get on your side, there’s no point in turning down their help.

4 Likes

Well… there’s at least as much of a point in them paying it as in a random singer paying it
I am sure you’ve seen the infamous photo of the female team next to the male team; bikinis vs shorts and singlets. If a celebrity pays the fine, then the men in that picture are not paying it. They can just sit back and let the girls sort it out amongst themselves.
Don’t get me wrong, I am sure the female players appreciate Pink’s shout out, but the male players and male staff of the association need to literally put the money where their mouth is.

Great, love to show you the [during covid 19] bar I built, it’s a slice of awesomeness.

3 Likes

And let’s not forget, something they have been trying to address since 2006! It’s not like they didn’t try the “appropriate channels” already, but getting no satisfactory response, they did this. It’s not like they just woke up one day and said, “you know what? Fuck the rules.” Good on the team. And good on the national team leadership for supporting them.

12 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.