Site bug: BBS navigation breaks when logged in and nearing the end of a topic

I’m seeing a problem today where the top bar on mobile is going nonresponsive. I can tap it all I want but it won’t take me back to the main message list. When in this state, if I click on the hamburger menu and try to change forums it takes me right back to the post I was in. I’m sorry that I don’t have a more precise repro. I’m not seeing it on try.discourse.org so it may be something specific to BB.

The only way to reset things is to reload the page.

This started last night.

I’m using Safari on iOS 12.3.

ETA it gets even stranger. If I tap the top bar when it’s nonresponsive and then tap refresh, I end up on the main page.

(iOS’s screen recorder doesn’t capture taps but I tapped the top bar several times before tapping refresh.)

2 Likes

Yup. It’s sticking the address in the address bar (which is why refresh works) but going no further.

I am on Android, using Brave, so it’s definitely not browser/OS dependent and it definitely seems isolated to BBBBS.

2 Likes

I was having similar trouble on desktop Firefox, and didn’t see any new hosts in NoScript. Eventually it started working. I wonder if it’s some sort of caching thing, and maybe clearing the browser cache might help?

ETA: Had further problems until I did a Shift-Refresh.
ETA2: The top bar doesn’t seem to work when reading a thread, but works from Latest/New/Unread.
ETA3: A full cache clear had no effect. Something is wrong.

2 Likes

The problem seems to be getting worse. Now, clicking on a suggested topic doesn’t quite bring it up, and I have to go to the address bar and hit ENTER to actually load the page. This same sort of thing also happens if I use a link on the top bar.

2 Likes

Glad it’s not just me.

3 Likes

Similar thing here, Android (Galaxy S5) using firefox. Usually just tapping the back key will take me from thread to main listing, but that’s not working. Nor is using the ‘hamburger’ to pull up latest - tapping latest does nothing.

It’s shitting me.

2 Likes

Top bar always flakes out for me running via Google on iPhone. Annoying.

1 Like

I can reproduce on Chrome in Windows as well. If I click on the top bar, the address bar changes to “https://bbs.boingboing.net” but the navigation never changes. It’s as if the navigation event is getting eaten somewhere along the way. Looking in the developer console, I’m seeing a flood of “Cannot read property ‘after’ of null” errors from ember-jquery.

This seems to be the most frequent culprit code:

Cc: @codinghorror

1 Like

Just for shits and giggles and to rule out any adblockers or other extensions, I went into a completely stock Internet Explorer 11 with no add-ins and was able to reproduce the same issue.

To reproduce this, it looks like you need to be logged in and reading a thread. Once you get near the bottom of the thread, it seems to create the condition where it hits this failing code.

1 Like

I brought this to the attention of Discourse support, and they indicated there’s an issue with users using the ignore feature causing this problem. They’re aware of the issue and a fix is forthcoming.

Thanks for the report!

3 Likes

Thanks, David!

1 Like

Yay, thank you @david_taylor and @orenwolf. Seems to be working as expected once again.

3 Likes

Working here again, too… whew

2 Likes