Skiers vs. snowboarders in 1985

Originally published at: Skiers vs. snowboarders in 1985 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’m sure the conflict on the slopes will be the same if humanity makes it to the far-off future year of 19785. Assuming there’s still snow. :smirk:

14 Likes

Hey, there’s always nuclear winter.

8 Likes

Wasn’t this the plot of some movie in the 90s?

6 Likes

Some typos are fun…this one reminded me of:

10 Likes

It just now occurred to me: How did Charles get off the mountain? He’s at the top of the K-12? :thinking:

9 Likes

The kids were always alright.

6 Likes

I remember when snowboarding first made it’s way to my corner of the Northeast. It seemed like people had decided to go to a ski resort, but instead of skiing, they nailed their feet to an unwieldy plank and tumbled down the slope. It was a bit annoying, as we were skiing there, and their bodies were an unwanted obstacle.

1 Like

I remember the ski vs. snowboard wars well (I was a pre-teen at the time, absolutely loved to ski, and personally had no problems whatsoever w/ snowboards/ers). Many resorts outright banned it. The absurd rationale could fill a volume. For those that don’t recall the final outcome: snowboarding ultimately prevailed. In fact, you could argue it radically changed the entire snowsports landscape top to bottom, from the design of resorts themselves to riding style to riding equipment – skis included! Final somewhat-related note: the awesome Warren Miller (may he RIP) loved snowboarding from the beginning, as evidenced in his films shot during the early days of “wintersticking” and “snurfing”. That man was a national treasure!

9 Likes

i want my TWO Dollars…

6 Likes

Yeah, snowboarding hit during high school, I got my snowboarding war scars. In the early years, the snowboarders were usually seen sitting on the snow, lying on the snow, even occasionally lying on the snow, but rarely seemed to actually move, and said movements generally looked like they were trying to scrape off the “packed powder” on the slope instead of going downhill. In retrospect I suspect they just didn’t know what to do, and probably fell down any time they tried. When the first half-tube was put in for the boarders a few years later, they’d figured it out and were routinely being hauled off by the ski patrol for the usual injuries.

2 Likes

Reminds me of a song.

4 Likes

As a former avid skier, all I can say is that I fully appreciated the snowboarders’ contributions to better outerwear. All hail pit zips!

I’m gobsmacked that there are still a few places in 2021 that continue to ban snowboards.

5 Likes

Just caught an XLNT docco re: the genius who began Burton Snowboards. Highly recommended.

5 Likes

I didn’t realize this. WTF??!

3 Likes

2 Likes

https://www.madriverglen.com/ “Mad River Glen - Ski it if you can!”

“Mad River Glen is one of the last bastions of natural snow skiing in New England and is one of only three areas in North America that prohibit snowboarding.”

I learned to ski here, and had many a yardsale down the slope that is viewed by the clubhouse. Ouchy times; ouchy times.

5 Likes

:rofl: “one of the last bastions of natural snow skiing…”? WTF does that even mean? Does that mean I’ll see some “natural snow skiers” at the base running pine logs through a planking machine and then spending weeks steaming the wood to curl up the ski tips?

4 Likes

I think Alta in UT is ski only? Or maybe it’s Deer Valley? Maybe both?

ETA I see @DiveGirl got the Mad River Glen Ski Resort

3 Likes

It’s a weird bigotry, but make no mistake: it’s a form of prejudice. ‘We don’t want THOSE types here.’

4 Likes