Skiers vs. snowboarders in 1985

Probably that they don’t make or groom their snow?

1 Like

It sure is. It’s like all the anti-skateboard attitude. Why all the hate?

I met a woman who would take her two-week vacation at a winter resort. The first week she’d ski and then snowboard the second week. She said as she aged it was better for her knees.

4 Likes

Well, their website opens up with a gigantic pic of a snow-cat and they go on to talk about early season open terrain due to “snowmaking”, so I don’t think that’s it. Since they follow their statement up by saying (in the same sentence) that they “prohibit snowboarding”, it’s entirely possible that’s what they’re getting at w/ their decidedly unnatural phrase. To be clear: I’m just conjecturing here. I’ve never skied there…indeed, I’ve never skied the east cost at all. Maybe the phrase “natural snow skiing” has a very specific meaning in VT? Who knows. One thing I do know: it seems especially odd that they “prohibit snowboarding” yet have pictures of skiers on their website that are riding shaped skis. Ya know, the skis that were designed as such after ski makers finally woke up to the notion that snowboarders were maybe, possibly, could it be???, on to something.

2 Likes

Apparently the meaning is specific to how the snow is made? Difference Between Manmade Vs Natural Snow? ❄️ | New To Ski

I’m not saying one is preferable. I’m fine with anyone skiing or snowboarding, as long as they do it responsibly, ie skiing within control, comparable to defensive driving.

1 Like

I remember skiers I knew back then griping about snowboarders.

Ironically I think if snowboarding had arrived earlier these same skiers would have gotten into it, but at that point they were heavily invested in skiing and weren’t about the change, seemed like a case of sour grapes to me.

2 Likes

Charles was the newspaper boy all along.

5 Likes

Classic film! tophat-biggrin

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.