Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr fumes at Trump using his songs: "Consider this s**t shut down"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/24/smiths-guitarist-johnny-marr-fumes-at-trump-using-his-songs-consider-this-st-shut-down.html

8 Likes

Marr doesn’t like Identitarians and fascists using Smiths songs, but I’m sure Morrissey is ok with it.

24 Likes

Maybe the Trumpists could use one of these?

Or maybe National Front Disco

I don’t know any Morrissey songs from after it became obvious he was a fascist.

14 Likes

Can you actually stop people from playing songs at rallies? Is it considered a performance and demand fees?

I have the same question for right wing goons on the radio with popular music for intros and bumps. I think Mark Levin uses fucking Linkin Park! Do they just pay a flat usage fee, or do they have to get permission. I can’t imagine many of the bands would be totally cool with it.

7 Likes

I know the normal response to these articles is, “the organization paid the blanket fee. Artists can’t opt out.” But this has been happening for decades. I’m surprised these blanket contracts haven’t been updated to exclude political rallies. Or to give artists veto power.

12 Likes

Moz was on record being against Trump a while back and had his band wearing “Fuck Trump” shirts. God knows what his current views are, tho.

7 Likes

He just prefers his white supremacy and fascism to be more stylish and aesthetically pleasing.

10 Likes

Of all the Smiths songs they could choose (There is a Light that Never Goes Out seems particularly appropriate for Trump cultists), they unironically go with one of the most twee and whiny ones possible?

9 Likes

Even a broken clock is right two times

4 Likes

He’s decided begging via song is a potential success vector.

We’re only a few months away from him showing up outside of the White House with a big boombox held over his head.

5 Likes

I was thinking, “Heaven Knows, I’m Miserable Now” could suit Trump

7 Likes

Hang the VP, hang the VP,
hang the VP, hang the VP,
hang the VP hang the VP hang the VP, hang the VP

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.