Smugglers disguise marijuana as carrots

You gotta wonder about the creative packaging so good that never gets caught!

1 Like

again I can only quote the CNN article linked somewhere above: They write 2500 pounds (about 1.2 tonnes? the US pound is a little bit less than half a kilogram?)

2 Likes

2,500 tons? Those two pickup trucks must have awesome suspensions!

For comparison, hereā€™s a 1,900 ton submarine:

3 Likes

The proper technique is to disguise it as a Van, and possibly have several zany run-ins with the police.

6 Likes

Weed Depot? Is that what theyā€™re calling the dispensaries? You know Iā€™m picturing a green Big Box store! California is just so damn evolved.

10 Likes

Carrabis?

5 Likes

Yes, that is the tongue in cheek name for a weed dispensary, here in San Diego anyways.

1 Like

Bingo!

1 Like

But arenā€™t you taxing the daylights out of it up there? Here itā€™s still technically only legal for medical users, but itā€™s trivially easy to get a doctor to say you need it. Itā€™s not significantly taxed here, though there are some impressive fees for legal dispensaries that do have to get passed on to the end user. Most of the dispensaries in SD are just popup places that donā€™t worry about that though.

I grow my own, so I donā€™t spend a lot of time in dispensaries, but thereā€™s such a glut of ridiculously high quality cannabis that prices are pretty low. I think I paid $50 for eight grams of some crazy good indoor-grown White Widow the week before Christmas.

I donā€™t know whoā€™d buy mid- to low-quality Mexican OG weed, but I canā€™t see it retailing here for more than $100/ounce. And you might have some trouble getting rid of it. Most dispensaries wonā€™t touch it, both because itā€™s cartel weed, and because the market doesnā€™t support anything but ultra-high-potency flowers that are pretty and dense and perfect. Itā€™s a good time to be a cannabis consumer here. :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

Get the app and look up dispensaries / delivery services / ID card locations.

https://weedmaps.com/earth/us/ca/san_diego

1 Like

I donā€™t use the app, but Iā€™m familiar with their web site. I hate the recent changes. I prefer to just read the green pages in The Reader. They have coupons and better deals. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

I guess the free market really works. Here in the Green Mountain state itā€™s closer to $350/oz. Yowch.

2 Likes

2 Likes

The SD Reader is a better option, it has 10+ pages of weed deals this week alone.

1 Like

Didnā€™t I just say that? :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m old, type louder.

10 Likes

Iā€™m not buying taxed product because, as you correctly point out, itā€™s taxed heavily relative to the quality and ease of which I can get un-taxed product.

While you do see regular $99 ounces at medical dispensaries the state of Oregon makes it more difficult to get your OMMP card.

$140 is about as good as it gets for retail here unless youā€™re getting it from someone with their own grow. I get oil for $20 a gram which seems pretty good as well.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s one reason Iā€™m not in favor of full legalization here in CA. It wonā€™t really change anything, as long as itā€™s still federal DEA Schedule 1. All legalization will do is add a third supply channel (along with medical dispensaries and black market/street sales) that will have yet another set of taxes and regulations.

I think Iā€™m the minority here thoughā€¦ its pretty likely to be legalized here after the next election.

1 Like

When I saw the photo, I thought this was going to about packages being sent to the Oregon terrorists. Maybe it would get them to chill.

1 Like

If carrots donā€™t work next time they should try sticks!

1 Like