So the Alt-Right is coming to your campus

American police appear to have no shortage of military hardware available when BLM organises a protest.

http://www.ginandtacos.com/2017/08/13/that-army-navy-surplus-vest-carries-no-legal-authority/

14 Likes

Sure. Also as I recall, BLM wasn’t going around armed like that.

Interesting how that works - overwhelming force for more peaceful protestors, underwhelming force for more violent ones. I’m sure skin tone has nothing to do with it.*

*sarcasm

12 Likes

Not as gunned-up as the fascists in Charlottesville, but they were there.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/texas-news/armed-protesters-added-to-confusion-in-dallas-attack/269891077

But, yes. There is a screamingly obvious difference between US police responses to black people, armed or not, versus police responses to armed and aggressive white people.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/8-white-people-who-pointed-guns-police-officers-and-managed-not-get-killed

7 Likes

It is obvious that these are not the good guys:
unite-the-right_charlottesville-600x448
But neither are these people:
32-AM
It is like the crips or bloods. I choose neither.

I was listening to the BBC coverage of the events and they had some local (Charlottesville) radio host on for commentary.

He was pretty clearly about as right wing as it would be possible to get in reasonably polite society in the UK (so, probably a fairly middle of the road US conservative) and was trying his best to downplay the violence, etc.

One of the points he made that interested me was that he was very adamant that the white supremacists had no justification for their march.

He said that there was no chance of the statue being removed.

The city had apparently looked into it and a court had ruled that since it is a war memorial, it cannot be moved - some state law apparently? He was quite steamed up about the Nazis using it as an excuse to come to his nice little town and cause trouble.

Does anyone know anything about that?

Who are they? How many are they? What kind of threats have they made? How credible are their threats? How many have they killed?

Are you sure we shouldn’t be more worried about these guys?

13 Likes

Nazis are not ‘selling the idea of fteedom’. Clue’s in the name, see.

2 Likes

Nazis are marching in the US. Communists aren’t.

I’m honestly not sure that it’s obvious to you.

9 Likes

I get along great with Jugallos. They are not people I anticipate having problems with.

1 Like

Max, please list all the terrorist acts performed by Stalinists since Reagan or agree your position is false equivalence.

14 Likes

So their suggested solution is “ignore them, they’ll go away”?

Because that worked so well in 1932.

6 Likes

Gun rights are only for people on the right, silly! /s

10 Likes

Maybe do a celebration near by, like a couple hundred yards away. And turn your backs to the neo-nazi assholes. Everyone at the celebration, just turns their backs and ignores them, only close enough for the assholes to see. Optimally with some police presence or some physical obstacle between the assholes and the celebration. Or go to the speech by the alt-reich asshole and stand, with your back turned, quietly, solidly.

1 Like

You debate somebody to give an equal opportunity to both sides to have a reasoned and civil exchange of ideas, so that those listening can make an informed choice.

There aren’t two sides, here. There is no civil exchange to be had. (To paraphrase NK Jemisin), you don’t debate who gets to be people.

There is nothing productive to be gained by “debate” with people that spout the slogans and cloak themselves in the symbolism of an ideology that has murdered millions of people. People who align themselves with an agenda of extermination don’t deserve your respect or your coddling, and they cannot be permitted to stand and speak unchallenged, anywhere, anytime. You do not engage in civilized debate, or reasoned discourse, with Nazis. You do not engage in a civil exchange of ideas with Nazis. You do not agree to disagree with Nazis.

You gather superior numbers and you link arms and you stand against them and you shout “never again” in their faces until your throat is raw. You shame them and denounce them and expose them as cowards and racists and as agents of evil. As long as you need to and as long as you have to.

And, well, they either back down, and crawl back under their rocks, or they don’t. We didn’t keep them under their rocks 80 years ago. We tried ignoring them and hoping they would go away 80 years ago. Tens of millions died, and we had to shoot them all. So we know that works, at least for a while. We should probably try to stamp out the fucking cockroaches before it gets to that point this time, but we know for a fact that ignoring them and hoping they go away does not work.

You don’t debate who gets to be people.

17 Likes

Not easy to do when they’re throwing rocks and bottles at you.

4 Likes

Thus the spacing of a couple hundred yards and optimally some kind of physical barrier (or caltrops on the ground! that would be fun) to prevent them from getting too close. Plus a well thought-out exit plan. I’m not saying the counter-protests we have seen thus far are a bad thing. Just wondering if there is a better way to counter-protest without feeding the nazi trollies.

1 Like

4 Likes

11th-doc-this

13 Likes

but theyre the SAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE

8 Likes

Riiiiiiight.

You’ve made it quite clear by now which side you’re on.

12 Likes