Society of Vertebrate Paleontology forbid the word "bone" during online conference

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/16/society-of-vertebrate-paleontology-forbid-the-word-bone-during-online-conference.html

2 Likes

And 12 year old boys everywhere giggle.

15 Likes

Word smatter?

7 Likes

So will they be holding next year’s conference in Scunthorpe or Penistone?

14 Likes

Man, they really pulled a boner with that software.

6 Likes

How did they do with “horn” because I hear Triceratops has three of those!

8 Likes

Polite discourse requires them to say “schlong” when referring to b-nes, or “shtup” if using b-ne as a verb.

11 Likes

9 Likes

This reminds me of a scene from an old comedy (I want to say it was Steve Martin‘s The Man with Two Brains); the main character is giving a lecture on “penis envy” at a psychiatric conference when a colleague comes in and sits down with his two young children, apologizing that he couldn’t get a sitter.

The main character continues the lecture but suddenly feels awkward using the medical terminology in front of the children and fumbles through using a series of euphemisms.

11 Likes

That just sounds dirty.

14 Likes

IIRC he was using terms like “wee-wee envy” and “the balloons” to describe human anatomy so as not to shock young ears. It was a silly scene that highlighted how oversensitive adults can be about what we expose children to.

14 Likes

The keynote speaker has withdrawn his paper, “Development of the Penis Bone in Giant Pleistocene Beavers”.

17 Likes

I thought the Eubanks rule strongly encouraged “making whoopie” as the substitute for the verb.

5 Likes

Well, I see “penis” isn’t on that list of banned words, they could just say “penis” instead of “bone.”

Problem solved.

“So this penis, measuring about two meters in length was found in the Black Hills. . .”

12 Likes

I expect he/she would have used the term ‘baculum’

4 Likes

and Castoroides

3 Likes

i’ll say it: cancel culture has gone too far.

3 Likes

New dirty word: THE - The Horrible Experience.

You can’t use the word THE anymore.

1 Like

There’s a rule against awarding the Pedant’s Pendant twice in the same thread.

ETA: Dr. Wang was trying to make the paper more accessible to the layman, since professional jargon can be hard to penetrate. Do you have a b_ne to pick with that?

3 Likes

Banning ‘bone’ is stupid, but at least that one has a sexual connotation. “Iffy” though? “Flange?” “Lies?”
Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 2.36.49 PM

3 Likes