Some Republicans fear that Cohen had taped conversations between himself and Trump that were seized by FBI

Great, I’m so glad to hear it!

1 Like

When this generation’s version of All the President’s Men is adapted into a big-screen biopic it’s going to have to be a raunchy screwball comedy.

5 Likes

Which like I said…in your weird ass metaphor: Kanye is a perfect stand in for Elvis.

Edit: and by “put on the same level as Nixon” I mean at the base level: they are both presidents of the US-end comparison. (I have no love for Nixon but the man was a mensa level genius compared to drumpf. )

1 Like

5 Likes

I’m not sure if that’s it, but I’ve wondered about that (here and elsewhere) for years.

Dial (phone, radio or otherwise) & dial tone, uppercase, lowercase, shift key, film, album etc.

P.S. what @simonize said

4 Likes

sarcasm-speech-impediment ???

5 Likes

We humans are creatures of habit.

Hell we still call a whole swath of the country which isn’t close to “the middle” and is nowhere near ‘the west’ “the Midwest”…

8 Likes

I prefer the term “The Northland” for Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas.

4 Likes

As a non-American I have seriously been just pretending to know what the midwest is for years. Now I finally know.

My mental reaction:

1. No way
  2. Why would you think “No way”, things smell different, dogs are good at smelling
  3. Yeah, but, come on
  4. Google it, you idiot

Wow, dogs.

15 Likes

That makes way more logical sense, considering that the US extends from coast to coast, and has ever since the 1840’s…

Don’t feel bad; many of my fellow Americans can’t even pick out more than a few states on a blank map, and we live here.

ETA:

I just realized that map fails to include Kansas, Nebraska & the Dakotas; which according to some folks, also are part of “the Midwest.”

5 Likes

I’m an old guy, and I just recently learned that “record album” didn’t originally refer to a collection of songs on a vinyl LP, but to an older item: a bound book with several paper sleeves that held 78 discs collected together – not unlike an old-school photo album in appearance! Google image search “78 record album” to see some.

11 Likes

I learn something new everyday; thanks.

2 Likes

wait…what?

the “78” in a record album refers to the speed at the RPM is run for the record to played back at normal listening speed.

4 Likes

Yes, an album of records that play at 78 rpm, not an album of 78 records.

@xkot is right, Google images will show you the pictures.

3 Likes

Yet xkot says “a bound book with several paper sleeves that held 78 discs collected together”

Thus my confusion. I am aware of the history of record album, but the 78 discs is the problem.

3 Likes

I think it’s “held 78 discs” as in held discs played at 78 rpm, not held 78 different discs.

3 Likes

I know we are getting way off topic here but I still say that “78” is a misnomer. By the time “record albums” were becoming a thing discs were being released in a various amounts of rpm speeds. 78rpm records didn’t get formalized til a few years later.

1 Like

Also, if he recorded a lot of conversations, that would be a lot of media. If you hide each one in a different place, you need a great memory. Probably you’d have a system of some kind, or keep them all together. Either way, that makes them vulnerable to being found.

1 Like

I don’t know. He almost certainly got his loyalty pledge. If anyone is stupid enough to believe a loyalty pledge means anything at all, whichever side of the pledge it’s on, they seem like the kind of person who would a) truly believe someone stupid enough to issue/receive said pledge and b) believe they’re clever and powerful enough to escape consequences wherein such a pledge was of value.

2 Likes

And yet, here we are; “a few years later”

I’m old enough to explicitly remember 45 singles and 33 albums, and wise enough to know that the total library of music available wasn’t limited to 78 records. I also know there were other, older formats. I’m also aware that dropping the unit when the context is clear (or even not so clear, as in the case of temperature and recipes when talking to a global audience) is a thing people have been doing since as long as there’s been people describing things in terms of standardised units.

4 Likes