Some Simpson jokes that go over kids' heads

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/21/some-simpson-jokes-that-go-ove.html

5 Likes

5 Likes

I don’t get the Sneed’s Feed & Seed (Formerly Chuck’s.)

3 Likes

Sn[x] F[x] and S[x]

Ch[y] F[y] and S[y]

10 Likes

Ohhhhhhh. Thanks! =oD

1 Like

Obviously incomplete without Lisa’s “cant talk, coming down”.

3 Likes

Rocky and Bullwinkle was another show with a lot of jokes kids didn’t get until they were adults.

I think it was basically the writers sneaking in jokes (mostly a lot of puns) to entertain themselves while working on a show designed for kids (whereas I think The Simpsons was geared more towards young adults, but they knew little kids would watch too.)

5 Likes

In TV Tropes linguo, it’s called “parental bonus” (although in the case of The Simpsons, it’s more “getting crap past the radar”).

2 Likes

“Camus can do, but Sartre is smartre”, “Yeah well, Scooby Doo can doo-doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter!”
I hadn’t read Camus or Sartre as a kid (obviously), so I got a laugh rewatching that episode as an adult. The Simpsons writers put some pretty significant cultural references into the show.

3 Likes

SpiderPig is over Homer’s head doing the things that SpiderPig does.

am i doing this right ?

2 Likes

Do you even know what a rhetorical question is?

3 Likes

It’s not risque like the examples shown in the video, but it took me about a decade for it to click that this was a “life’s not all beer and skittles” reference.

6 Likes

My favorite. I also love Vietnamese food.

8 Likes

Animaniacs is also a prime example of riske jokes for adults in a kid’s show

5 Likes

It’s scary the influence The Simpsons has had in my life. I started watching right when it began screening (in New Zealand at least) and I was about the same age as Lisa, definitely younger than Bart. So 8. So yes there were a lot of things I missed the first time around.

1 Like

Fake Moose!

4 Likes

21 Likes

(The last two cats my mom owned were called “Boris” and “Natasha.”)

2 Likes

A few years ago I saw Pee-Wee’s Playhouse on Broadway, and there was an interview with Paul Reubens in the Playbill. The interviewer asked whether he was concerned with kids watching the show loaded with double entendres. His reply (paraphrased): “If your kids are laughing at these jokes, it’s because they already know what they mean. We didn’t teach them.”

10 Likes

Certainly having jokes in kids’ programs that go over their heads is a thing, but The Simpsons never was a kids program to start with – it was, and is, a sitcom that just happens to be animated.

1 Like