Someone has finally broken the Guinness World Record for long-distance throwing of a hot dog sausage in a bun

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/29/someone-has-finally-broken-the.html

1 Like

You are describing the feat incorrectly. The hot dog was not in the bun when thrown, the record was for the longest a hot dog was thrown and then caught directly into a bun. If you watch the video you’ll see that the hot dog is naked while flying.

13 Likes

6 Likes

I thought MIT distance records had to be measured in smoots.

11 Likes

I don’t think I’d mind seeing it go the way of the Yellow Pages. These days the organization seems to exist much less as a reference tool or a catalog of human achievements, and much more as a promotional tool for corporations – or even dictatorships, as Mr. Oliver pointed out.

7 Likes

It was started as a promotional tool for a corporation.

5 Likes

If you have a multi-billion cult scam vanity press, you can always buy a few Guinness records.

4 Likes

She is a shero for our times.

And this fits in beautifully with MIT’s long history of pranks. Not as classic as smoots or putting a police cruiser on top of the dome - but very fun.

Brava.

5 Likes

Are there separate “with ketchup” and “without ketchup” categories?

8 Likes

21.493 smoots.

8 Likes

10 Likes

:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Get back to me when there’s a record for hot-dog-eating daredevil being shot out of a cannon.

Make that two separate records:

1. Distance
  2. Number of hot dogs eaten in flight.

2 Likes

Every competition must somehow balance the need to have a clear winner, with the wish to award as many prizes as possible.

The clear winner in this category (in my book, fuck Guinness) has got to be the kinetic sculpture races in Port Townsend. Where the Arcata races are all about finding the fastest contestants, Port Townsend makes it very clear that finishing the race will earn you a top prize in your category. Every year there are exactly as many categories as there are qualifying contestants. (They still must pass break and float safety checks)

The prize given the most hoopla, is the mediocrity award, given to the sculpture that crosses the finish line in the exact middle of the pack. (No, I don’t know how this works when there is an even number of contestants)

2 Likes

This is a golden age we’re living in folks. A truly golden age.

2 Likes

Good. As I was reading, I was wondering why it wasn’t what you just described, which is obviously way better.

I’m not sure why Guinness felt the need to specify hot dog sausage , though perhaps it’s to differentiate from a hot dog sandwich , the existence of which continues to reign as the greatest controversy of the modern era.

This is a hot dog:
GettyImages-474196549-e1500503491913
They said hot dog sausage because that’s what it is without the bun, I suppose (i.e. during flight).

This is a hot dog sandwich:
picLT6amG
I know there is a controversy involving hot dogs and sandwiches, but I don’t think it’s involved here.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity do they throw the hotdog down a hallway

5 Likes

“Hot dog sausage” sounds like it was crafted by a lawyer. Aren’t they universally known as Frankfurters or wieners?

1 Like

There is no ketchup mentioned because Guinness (rightly) only recognizes one category: Mustard

5 Likes

Dijon, English, French, German, Yellow, Indian?

Categories are everything.

Is the bun coated with mustard to help or hinder the catch?

4 Likes