Someone invented a "Safe Space Desk” for school shootings

That’s where ammosexuals usually pull out the Nirvana Fallacy: “yeah, but shootings still sometimes happen in those places, ergo gun control doesn’t work.”

5 Likes

I did not advocate for increased ease, I sarcastically pointed out it is BS to decrease ease due to oppressive fees that makes it basically legal for wealthy people, but not poor.

You want to create a licensing scheme? Fine.

You want a registration scheme? Fine.

You want to ban them all? Fine.

All opinions I disagree with, but at least they apply their new laws and restrictions equally.

But just “making it too expensive to keep a gun” is one level of wrongheadedness too high that I will pipe up about.

For a site full of people so fond of posting guillotine pictures, I am surprised I have to explain what classiest bullshit this idea is.

2 Likes

You probably don’t need to armor plate the door per se, but harden it and use something that physically wedges the door shut. When my kid went to an actual school, they used this device that fit over the swing arm that acted as physical device to prevent it from opening. I agree some security measures like that for each room is a prudent idea.

Man, I really hate it when I find myself agreeing with you about guns in society.

1 Like

So great that I live in a country where this kind of innovation is not only encouraged, but necessitated by a complete unwillingness to do anything about all these effing guns everywhere! Winning!

Sigh. Also, I cannot for the life of me comprehend why any rational, compassionate human being would be against licensing, registering, and insuring guns and gun owners like we do cars and drivers. Guns are way more immediately lethal than cars. They certainly get fetishized at least as much, if not more, than cars do.

6 Likes

Honestly, was just stream of consciousness writing, wasn’t planning or thinking ahead of the entire statement. I was thinking along the lines of more guns, more insurance costs, more expensive, less likely to have big stock piles of weapons. If you had 20 guns, your premiums should be much higher than if you own a single weapon.

I completely admit I didn’t write what I was thinking, and completely missed out on important parts of what I meant to say :slight_smile:

Yes, expensive guns are a foolish idea, but I have to point out that it’s rather difficult to guillotine someone from a distance.

4 Likes

You’re illustrating a good point that a guillotine isn’t really that useful if the ruling oligarchy is the only group capable of “distance guillotining”. But, maybe if you say please they will come quietly. :confused:

Thanks for pointing out all the options for reasonable gun control that remain functionally impossible due to the unreasonable power of the firearms industry. Insurance isn’t my favorite approach to the problem, either, but it has the benefit of bypassing the roadblocks that are currently in place to prevent even slight improvements in an untenable situation. It also would bring to bear the deep expertise of the insurance industry for grading and placing a value on minute risk factors.

5 Likes

It does seem…curious…that there are no “after defeating an xyz round” photos in the coverage for an explicitly anti-getting-shot product; especially after years of exposure to the youtube genre produced by relatively affordable high-speed photography.

Everything has been taken down to the range and tested while someone provides irksome commentary; but not this?

2 Likes

It’s a good thing that children have a natural immunity to spall.

2 Likes

You don’t want guns licensed, registered or banned and you want them as cheap as possible.

So which part of people not being easily maimed or killed do you actually support?

7 Likes

Oh don’t ask him that question.

He’ll bring up swimming pools and cars as a comparison. Apparently they’re an apt comparison because those things are designed to kill as many people as efficiently as possible, like a gun. Therefore similar classes of risk.

/s

6 Likes

I didn’t say to make them as cheap as possible. I condemned some scheme that makes them so expensive, because of a tax or insurance or what ever, that poor people can’t afford them. (Fun Fact - multiple taxes are already applied to firearms and ammo.)

Like it or not, it is still a right and I can’t imagine the justification one can come up with to create a system that results in poor people not being able to afford to exercise that right due to some messed up law.

Not this time, I already look like a big enough dick today.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.