Someone pulled their dick out: 2022 Grammy winner Louis C.K. and the #MeToo movement

No, just saying one possibility of sexual assault and other such weird power trips and violence may just be biological. Another may be culture. But I see that damn dolphin in France sexually assaulting swimmers in the news and doubt culture comes into play.

prince-harry-um-no

10 Likes

Her face was priceless when the interviewer said it…it was the perfect “Oh shit…that’s right!”

Fucking idiot.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, far too many women themselves buy into patriarchal bullshit like we’re so biologically driven we can’t change, despite so much evidence to the contrary.

12 Likes

So…hold on…HOLD ON. All of this thread regarding LCK and his half ass attempt to gauge the temperature of the crowd on him returning to a spotlight, all the conversation regarding what he could do differently or better, all of the original article by @maureenherman and how her very excellent and forthright opinion is simply “Redemption is possible, but LCK has to do the heavy lifting there, as do other abusers”, all the back and forth and comments…

and it boils down to a “Dolphins sexually assault swimmers in France, so therefore its biology.”?!??

Seriously. No. Go home. Go outside and play. Turn on the TV and watch something. Do whatever you like…just GET THE FUCK OUT WITH THAT.

19 Likes

The perpetrator himself does not attempt to defend his actions or suggest that his victims were in any way culpable. There is nothing to debate regarding blame or degree. Those lines of conversation are not what this post is about.

Louis has owned up to his mistakes more than most, and that, at minimum, has me hoping he can reform his behaviour. Whether or not that should matter one whit regarding “forgiveness”, and whether or not such a thing is even possible from a “movement” (let alone the victims), is another topic altogether, and happens to be the topic of this post.

Conflating the two is just going to result in posts being eaten.

16 Likes

Instead of appearing at an unannounced show telling jokes, meekly trying to garner support by “starting small,” what if he leveraged the same power, talent, and connections that he used to silence and discredit his accusers and applied it to the problem of toxic masculinity in America? I think you would be surprised how quickly allies, male and female, would be supportive of him.

And sadly, people would fall for it. Just like they fell for him supposedly being one of the halfway decent dudes years ago.

“How do women still go out with guys, when you consider that there is no greater threat to women than men?” – Louis C.K.

He was one of the posterboys for the “good guys”, and like waaaaaay too many “good guys”, he ended up being a bag of dicks.

I had two choices: confront him, or let it go. If I challenged him, I ran the risk of him having me fired, and/or talking shit about me to other comics, club owners, and/or anyone else with power in the comedy world. If I let it go, chances were he wouldn’t remember my name five minutes later, and therefore wouldn’t tell anyone not to hire me. So I dealt with it, and let him spend the weekend acting like I didn’t exist. In my mind, it was better to be a ghost than to speak out for myself and damage my career.

And there he was, being a dick to the people around him, but because he made jokes where he admitted he wasn’t a good guy but was making jokes against the dudebros, people assumed he was a good guy.

Redemption? I mean, it’s not my place to condemn anyone, but confronting toxic masculinity was part of his act. And that’s all it was, an act.

Guys, guys! Pay attention. He said he’s sorry. He seems sorry. And it’s totally different than all those times he seemed sincere before he got outed. He’s a nice guy.

I mean, personally, I would just keep my mouth shut about whether I think I’m a nice guy. I try to be. I know I end up acting creepy. I don’t like to look people in the eye; kids made me insecure about my lazy eye, but avoiding eye contact is creepy. So is lazy eye. And…well…so is taking a glance when a pretty girl walks by. It’s definitely creepy if you do more than just glance.

I think there’s some simple rules to get through life without being a bag of dicks: try to not be creepy, be contrite when you are creepy to someone else even if you think the other party is being unreasonable (it happens), and always let a person’s no be no, and a yes be yes, even if you think they might be acting coy. Maybe you think you’re good at reading intent. You’re probably not. IMHO 99% of life’s inter-personal problems go away if you just try to do those things.

2 Likes

Also…

12 Likes

13 Likes

It’s just biology melz… not like human beings can make choices, we’re just victims of our biology… /s

7 Likes

my biology says I should run around violently slapping any Trump supporter…but I manage to control myself with copious amounts of alcohol.

edit: also @Melz2 I did my best to channel you in my reply above to the Dolphin comment.

6 Likes

american-horror-story-alcohol-helps

6 Likes

Well. when rapist Dolphins can’t control their biological tendencies…I mean what else will work. :joy:

3 Likes

Also, you got to watch out for those naughty parrots, too!

fryparrotshag

(that parrot looks so happy, I must say)

9 Likes

Wait now…with Parrots we are all just askin for it anyway. /s

(I am shocked we didn’t get a post in this thread with that)

2 Likes

I’ve posted it right now! :wink:

Also, only this rare parrot!

3 Likes

Oh gawd, thanks guyz, the depths I just descended into looking for “dolphin sex” gifs… O_o

Okee, that’s enough interneting for me today!

13 Likes

I bet you had no idea their fins could bend like that eh?

2 Likes

its-aliens-cat

19 Likes

Agree, this is such an excellent piece. And keep going on Wikipedia: she actually lost the Babes in Toyland gig over the Jackie Fox piece she did for BoingBoing. So, I’m guessing there was a great deal of thought surrounding both the no byline and byline decisions.

Return to Babes in Toyland and second departure

In 2014, Herman rejoined the reunited Babes in Toyland.[6]

In August 2015, Herman was fired from the band, for originally unspecified reasons. In December 2015, Herman revealed that the reason she had been asked to leave the band was due to an article she had written for the website Boing Boing on the sexual assault of Runaways bassist Jackie Fox by manager Kim Fowley in 1975 and Joan Jett’s denial of having witnessed it.[7] Herman said that because of drummer Lori Barbero’s business connections with Jett, namely Barbero producing an album for a band under Jett’s record label, Blackheart Records, Herman was kicked out of the band for what Barbero believed to be hurting possible future business between Barbero and Jett.[7]

On another note, I skipped over all the dolphin stuff. What’d I miss?

6 Likes