Sony will allow theaters to show 'The Interview'

Our local independent theatre, located in Oakland (CA)'s Koreatown neighborhood no less, will be showing it, with $2 per ticket going towards Liberty in North Korea, which they say “works to help North Korean refugees reach freedom and thrive in their resettlement.”

I’m a huge fan of Richard Ayoade, so I feel especially bad about this one.

4 Likes

Oh, I can watch it now?

Never mind, I don’t want to all of a sudden.

3 Likes

I checked out Ebert’s Review (of the Watch), just for the hell of it.

This stood out

The dialogue by Jared Stern and Seth Rogen benefits from the practiced comic timing of the actors, and by some astonishing verbal imagery. But I dunno. It’s so determined to be crude, vulgar and offensive that after a while I grew weary. Abbott and Costello used to knock out funnier movies on this exact intellectual plane without using a single F, S, C, P or A word.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone state that but conspiracy theorists. References?

1 Like

You know, if you guys had read the subtitle quite clearly posted in vector’s gif, you could have avoided this misunderstanding…

Amongst other places.

They claim to have stolen 100 TB in just a few days. Yet North Korea’s network is just a 2.5GB downstream through China.

The math doesn’t add up. It was an inside job.

I remember shipping a couple megabytes of data to a friend (128bit libraries for Netscape, back in the day when getting them internationally was rather non-straightforward, using a US-based proxy). I had a lousy 14k4 modem. Another friend’s machine in Netherlands, on a cable modem, was used as the data store.

Having a slow uplink on your terminal doesn’t mean it is THE bottleneck for you.

Well, it’s not just that. It’s also managing to know the network topology of different networks within Sony’s IT team on the first guess, (they don’t just have one network), it’s that some of the malware had to be installed and run on internal computers that are in data centers and not on the internet, that some of the source code for the malware contained hard coded logins, passwords, and internal machine and domain names. And the list goes on and on.

Sure, NK may have been involved (however they have denied it since day one, but have approved of whoever did it.) But it’s pretty clear someone on the inside was definitely involved. The hack was so intensive and complete that they had to shut down their gym, because the hackers even stole the access logs for the gym, which is medical information stored on some shitty computer connected just to the keycard system (which isn’t even connected to any other system for obvious reasons.)

1 Like

Ah, good old trustworthy Fox News.

Given their preliminary threats and the evidence implicating them, I think we should still consider North Korea a very valid suspect, while keeping possibilities open.

1 Like

I’ve also seen CNN, MSNBC, Slashdot, and a wide variety of other sources report this, including security experts from noted companies.

I just picked the first one on the list when I typed it into google news.

Please don’t be a mindless idiot and dismiss an article’s sources just because of the URL. Please actually focus on the claims and facts made in the article.

I did, in fact, read the article. The fact that it’s a Fox News article, sadly, immediately calls into question anything they might say, as much as if this was a link to the Weekly World News; that’s how untrustworthy they are these days. Especially as this their own investigation, and not just a wire story they’re publishing.

Please don’t call names, that’s really a poor way to behave here. Thanks!

1 Like

Seems as though Mr Rogen has a pretty thin skin.

The Verge: It’s OK if you don’t watch The Interview on Christmas, or ever

Rogen’s response:

3 Likes

If I’d written, directed, produced, and starred in a movie that had gotten more or less buried (at first), and then The Verge wrote a douchey story like this about it, I’d be a little pissy, too.

Well, it sounded like a pretty crappy movie from the beginning. (But then, most movies are crap. Because most of everything is crap. Aka the Sturgeon’s Law.)

To be fair, that’s a really terrible article. I’m almost certain I’ll hate The Interview if I go see it, but I wouldn’t judge anyone who liked it. That’s a genuinely shitty thing to do.

1 Like

Well, here you go, hope it’s a convenient location fer ya: http://www.michtheater.org/schedule/

I see that it is available on Google Play today.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.